Why become a member? ×

Fender JV (not Squier)

edpirie

I understand the deal with Squier JVs, in fact I have a 1982 big Fender logo Precision which is a great bass. But I know very little about Fender JVs, which I think were domestic Js/Ps from the same period. Are [size="3"][color="#000000"]they a similar quality? Better? The reason for asking is that there is an oly white 1984 Fender JV Jazz at The Gallery, but it’s up for just over a grand, which is £200 more than they have a Squier JV Jazz for (although probably some scope for negotiation in both those prices).[/color][/size]

[quote name='edpirie' timestamp='1437070783' post='2823394']
Thanks cameltoe - I tried 21frets but it's almost exclusively Squier JV and very largely Strat rather than basses, so not much that I could find on there to enlighten me.
[/quote]

Look again- the first three models listed on the Guide to JV models page (before you get to Squier badged models) are all Domestic Fender badged JV's, with specs and info. It leans a lot toward guitar as you say, so you have to use it as a guide, but you can get an idea of what the specs were like.

I guess the biggest thing to find out is whether it's a JV 115, 85, or 65. These were the markers for the different price points (115,00 Yen, 85,000 Yen etc) so the lower the number the lower the spec.

Have a look through the page again as it's pretty specific in terms of components and quality per model, and it does mention the basses that were available.