Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ampeg B410HLF horn problem

igloobuilding

Hi there, I was wondering if any one could help I have an Ampeg B410HLF cab that has a problem with the horn, when the horn is switched on and I play it makes a really crackly noise, and i dont mean the sound a horn should make. When I take the back plate off the amp (that has the crossover unit on) and play then the horn works fine. Now originally i thought this was a problem with the horn so I took to get fixed and the repairer put a new ampeg horn in it but it still does the same thing.
Can anyone shed any light on what it could be? The repairer has checked all the wiring and re-soldered the joints

Please help I dont know what to do?

Originally I bought the ampeg from sound control off a friend who works there, I don't usually bother with a reciept beacuse i knew most of the staff so if i had any problems with something they just sorted it out for me, but now sound control has closed I cant get them to send it off to ampeg

Please help!

with the backplate off, if you move the plate around (just tilt it back and forth) does it crackle then as well, or can you get it to crackle doing that?

it sounds like a loose solder joint or a partial break in one of the wires going to the horn, i know you said you had it checked but sometimes things do get missed.

if you can, post a pic of the crossover assembly, with view of the solder joints.

[quote name='escholl' post='273201' date='Aug 30 2008, 03:52 PM']with the backplate off, if you move the plate around (just tilt it back and forth) does it crackle then as well, or can you get it to crackle doing that?

it sounds like a loose solder joint or a partial break in one of the wires going to the horn, i know you said you had it checked but sometimes things do get missed.

if you can, post a pic of the crossover assembly, with view of the solder joints.[/quote]

Cant put up a photo at the mo its still at the repairers. I asked the guy fixing it and he says that he has soldered the joints again, so Im slightly confused as to why it is doing this

• 2 years later...

hi there, i have the same problem can anybody help? ampeg b 4x10 hlf just over a year old bought from thomann, was working fine now i get this crazy crackling type of noise coming from the horn, it goes away if i turn the horn off but i dont like the tone with it off, please help as its doing my head in.