Why become a member? ×

Gig Prices: What to Charge?

njr911

Another way of looking at this..... A good quality band....(agent fodder,) as individuals will have invested countless hours learning their instrument, and thousands of pounds over the years on their kit. Multiply this by four or five band members, and you are looking at a huge investment of time and money. Agents who operate sometimes at home, whose investment is a phone, a wall planner, a glittery web site and whose idea of a hard days work is cruising around looking for bands at showcase nights and Friday night pub or club gigs,in my opinion should fall to their knees in the presence of a hard working band. The words 'money' and 'old rope' spring to mind. An 'agent' or a bloke with a phone, can send a band out, where they have to slog their guts out for a whole day and night sometimes, to earn the bloke with the phone more than they will recieve as individuals. And the best bit is, some bands get worried if the bloke with the phone stops ringing for a week or two... There really is some inverted logic there that I don't quite understand....

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1433429671' post='2791014']

been thinking of going down the line of agents purely because of venues being on their books, but unsure of wether to bother or not. There is one venue near me that was on an agetns books but they have gone back to booking their own bands, still bloody hard to get in there as they are always fully booked
[/quote]

Depends on your position with the agency. Over here well specifically the Milwaukee market if your one of an agencies top 3 producers that's great. If not you could go for a month or more with no gig.

Blue