Why become a member? ×

Tapping

Tait

I'm learning the Billy Sheehan style piece in Stuart Claytons book "Giants of Bass" and there's a tap solo. I've only ever done tap a couple of years ago when i first started bass lessons cos we were studying different techniques, but never actually used it in a song.

Now when i try to tap this solo (or the little tap fill earlier on) im not getting a clean note, im getting a wierd sound. Its hard to describe the sound, but if it helps it sounds kinda like my bass has got wind. I've tried tapping harder and softer, it doesn't help.

Can anyone help me?

[quote name='lwtait' post='268740' date='Aug 24 2008, 09:20 AM']I'm learning the Billy Sheehan style piece in Stuart Claytons book "Giants of Bass" and there's a tap solo. I've only ever done tap a couple of years ago when i first started bass lessons cos we were studying different techniques, but never actually used it in a song.

Now when i try to tap this solo (or the little tap fill earlier on) im not getting a clean note, im getting a wierd sound. Its hard to describe the sound, but if it helps it sounds kinda like my bass has got wind. I've tried tapping harder and softer, it doesn't help.

Can anyone help me?[/quote]

I'll try to help - i did write the piece after all! Can you record what you're doing and post it? Would be easy to diagnose what you are doing then. I'll have a look at the piece and post some notes on it later - can't remember how it goes at the moment.

Stu

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='268798' date='Aug 24 2008, 11:11 AM']I'll try to help - i did write the piece after all! Can you record what you're doing and post it? Would be easy to diagnose what you are doing then. I'll have a look at the piece and post some notes on it later - can't remember how it goes at the moment.

Stu[/quote]

thanks, that'd be great. i'll try and record it asap and PM it to you.