Why become a member? ×

Carlsboro Speaker/Driver identification

zakarath

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what the power handling capacity of a Carlsboro Powertone 15" driver would be. It is measuring around about 4ohms impedance, but I don't know how to work out the wattage (or even if you can) and there is nothing obvious on it to say what the wattage actually is. The only markings are:
933/89 (I'm presuming the 89 refers to the year of manufacture, haven't a clue what the 933 would denote) and 152?27, the question mark may well be a 4 giving 152427, pics attached.

Thanks in advance for a favourable reponse.

Zak

Fair enough, I was guestimating (and hoping) it would be that as well. Not sure what you mean by a pic of the voice coil as I'm assuming I'd have to destroy the dustcap to get that, but here's some more pics.

Excuse my ignorance, but is Fane a bass cab/amp manufacturer?

The speaker actually came out of a Marshall cab, but I assumed it had been a replacement for the original driver as it's twin was fitted with an 8ohm 125w driver, my mate who bought the pair was none to pleased when he realised one was 8 and the other 4 as his setup needs two 8s, hence me getting the 4ohm for free!!

Fane Acoustics is a driver manufacturer based in Yorkshire. They're still going, although most of their products are made in China now. The width of the base of the cone in photos 2 and 3 is the voice coil diameter. It looks like 2.5 inches to me, but it's impossible to tell from here. Fane's top-of-the range drivers of that era had 2.5-inch coils and were 200 watts - but they had larger magnets.

Measured the cone as near as possible to the base where it goes into the magnet, with one of those sliding caliper things, and it's coming out somewhere around 2 6/16", so just slightly less than 2 1/2", so probably is a 150w as per your original suggestion. The magnet's diameter is 6" and depth is 14/16", no way of telling what the interior diameter is, but i presume it has to go all the way in to nearly touch the voice coil?

Always thought Carlsboro were an amp/cab/driver maker i.e. I assumed they did the whole lot, it never occured to me that they might be buying in kit and rebranding it - like the driver, thought that was a modern aberration.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and if you'd care to comment further in regard to the measurements (could it be a 200w or is that just wishfull thinking?), quality, age (i.e. if it's an 1989 driver and now 26+ years old has it come to the end of it's life???) etc I would be most grateful.

Regards

Zak

Opening a new post now, which will no doubt not go down well amongst diehard bass officianados, "Lead amp used through a bass cab - sheer folly?"

Unlike their competitors HH, Carlsbro never made their own drivers. It could be 200 watts, yes, but I'd play safe and treat it like a 150-watt driver. It looks in good condition from the photographs - so I would expect it to provide many years of good service yet.