Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF350 and portaflex 1x15 cab

Turnaround

Gigged a PF350 and matching portaflex 1x15 twice at the weekend, once in a small bar and once in a medium sized function venue.
I have to say the tone was great,just what I was looking for and a volume lift over my usual Ampeg B100R which has tone aplenty but becomes very mid focused when pushed loudly. What I would say is that the new Portaflex rattles a great deal, hardly noticeable at band volume with drums etc but it's there and slightly annoying when compared to my old Ampeg.
Anyone have same problem?

I use the same set up and I've never had a rattle. Before you discard it as faulty I'd triple check you've attached the head correctly and also look to see if the rattle is coming from the head or cab. I like the tone personally and didn't feel there was a problem with the mids. Good luck trying to resolve it.

Thanks, the mids were fine on the PF350, if anything I could keep mids flat and boost the bass, it's my B100R that used to become middy at high volume.
I suspect the Portaflex cab lids buzzing a bit but will check everything as you suggest, thanks.
Then again I think the original old Portaflexes could buzz and rattle too, on balance if it's the tone your after the new ones sound great.

My PF350 rattled and I had to send it to repair service. They injected some silicon on rattling parts and the rattle was gone. Also the cabinet lid can rattle. Is your amp attached to the cab? Mine rattled only when it was attached.

Strangely it didn't rattle when it wasn't attached to the cab at rehearsal......although it did have a tendency to vibrate to the edge of the cab and almost fall off!
I'm using a couple of Precisions with flatwounds and the tone roled back, oh and the tweeters switched off so I'm pushing it a bit.

So did I, but I leave tone always open. Eventually I changed it to Ashdown LB30 - louder and more serviceable. I liked the Ampeg, but reliability factor won. If it's a new amp, send it back to service. If not - open it and trap gently components to locate the rattling. Then see some technician..

Gently tightened up every screw I could reach and it performs much better than it did, these do sound fantastic, warm Ampeg tone.
From what I've read the old Portaflexes were the same, sounded great but could rattle a bit in the studio unless you spent time tightening everything up.