Why become a member? ×

Active/Passive vs Active Inputs on Amp

kendall

Hello - I have an Active bass that is always plugged into the active socket on my amp. Last night, I played it through the active/passive socket for no reason other than I had left the cable in that socket having been noodling on a passive bass beforehand. I was quite surprised at what a difference in output it made to my bass. The sound was a lot brighter.

I guess my question is what do the sockets actually do to make my active bass sound so different? I am sure it's a daft question, but I was quite taken with the 'improved' tone and wonder why I would bother using the active socket at all now?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance

'Active' inputs generally have lower gain and lower impedance than 'passive'. An active bass plugged into a 'passive' input will sound louder because of the higher gain. A passive bass plugged into an 'active' input will sound dull because it is seeing too low an impedance.

I would be surprised if the tone of an active bas changed between the two inputs, as the active circuit should not be adversely loaded by the 'active' input.

Having said all that, if it sounds good, just do it - no harm will result.