Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for a 12 band eq

pip

Hi guys

This fri I'm planning to play with some friends and I usually get a 4x10 tracer elliot rig to play through but I seem to struggle to find a good eq setting what with two guitarists blasting away. Can anybody suggest a few eq settings? its usually a head with a 12 band eq and we play rock.

Thanks Phil

On my Trace I usually have an 'M' shape, with the settings thus: -

30Hz -3db
40Hz 0db
60Hz +6db
100Hz +6db
180Hz +3db
340Hz 0db
660Hz -4db
1.3kHz 0db
2.6kHz +4db
5kHz +6db
10kHz +2db
15kHz -5db

That usually cuts through, while retaining a nice tight bottom end. If it's got the dual band compressor on it, I recommend putting the Low Compression at 12 o'clock and then the High Compression at 9 o'clock.

And there you've got the Geilerbass sound :)

I don't use a trace but i always like to boost the bass and treble a fair bit just to give it a bit of low end thump but still have it cut through and to compensate a bit for the fact that i use my fingers rather than a pick (i play metal) and leave the mids around 0 ish, cutting or boosting where appropriate, i am of course always changing my settings though. I do put the EQ on flat for my G&L though.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='266764' date='Aug 21 2008, 01:39 AM']EQing by numbers is a recipe for disaster. Use your ears. Every room is different.[/quote]

+1!!!!

I have an ALMK500 Head with a 12 Band graphic - don't think I've used the same settings twice while gigging, even going back to repeat venues.........