Why become a member? ×

Aphex Big Bottom Bass Xciter

basshead56

Hi All,

Just picked one of these up very cheaply while looking to build a second pedal rig for my upright setup. I got it and a Tech21 Bass Boost Chorus (for my electric bass pedal rig) for about 100 pounds, so pretty damn cuffed!

I was hoping to use this as my DI box for shows where I won't have my upright amp (Ampeg B-100R), so running the bass (Baby clone) into my new Korg Pitchblack and into the Xciter.

So far, I have tested it out going to the amp via the jack output and I have to say, I am quite impressed with the overall sounds I'm getting.

First tried it on my 51 RI P bass with flats into my Mesa rig. So bass to Xciter to amp. WOW, what a beautiful tone. Nice little lift in the bottom without killing the mids or highs and spiking the volume - all straight out of the box!

But not the reason I bought it, so onto the main affair - upright.

Bass to tuner to Xciter to amp.
Firstly, it is definitely true-bypass and there's absolutely zero noise, hiss or hum from this unit. It has even dampened some of the (very, very low level) feedback from the bass and amp setup.
First set everything to 12 o clock and it sounds a little muddier than I'd like but it couldn't be perfect instantly!
It definitely takes some getting used to and I initially just started by driving the Lo end (I guess instinctively) but it takes a wee bit of a play to get the balance right so as not to colour the sound too much. Otherwise it just gets subby and woolly.
After about 40 mins of upping and downing the pots, I reckon i have found the right sound - at least for use with the amp (but again, this will most likely be used only for DI as I love the tone of the B-100R).\

I have set the Lo Tune to 8 and the Lo blend to 5 with the Hi Tone and Blend both around 7. I'm getting some decent bottom end from the bass and the highs are still clear without overpowering everything else.
The character of the bass (with weedwacker style strings) is still very much there, but with subtle lifts in the 'boom'.

I have a band rehearsal tonight so will report on the DI aspect later, bearing in mind that the PA at the rehearsal space is limited to say the least.
I really hope it cuts it, cause I like the idea of slapping this and the tuner onto a Pedaltrain Nano and having a simple, space-saving rig
(Hey a VW Golf can only fit so much in).

If it doesn't work out, I thought I might spring for a Doctor J Sparrow and use that as the pre/DI, after the Xciter and tuner (obviously with the 'dirt' dialed back a bit) as I love my VT Bass deluxe but can't afford the VTDI at the mo.

Cheers
Colin