Why become a member? ×

Monacor drivers

leonardobass

Hello. I'm thinking of building a couple of 12" bass cabs,and looking around local shops (just one or too really,this is the Azores...) for what drivers were available, I found the Monacor Stage line series. Has anyone ever used this brand for bass cabs? I'm not sure how good they are because i can't really find any reviews for this brand on that particular use. Any help is greatly apreciated.

Edited by leonardobass

[quote name='leonardobass' timestamp='1428414103' post='2741039']
i can't really find any reviews for this brand on that particular use.
[/quote]Reviews don't matter. T/S specs and measured response charts do. With those you can accurately predict results and cab compatability. Without them you have no way of knowing what you'll end up with. By the same token, when it comes to building a cab you can't just toss a driver into a box. No matter how good the driver is if the cab isn't properly matched to it, and if the cab isn't properly constructed, it won't work well.

I don't think I'd go for them if anything else is available. They once made decent drivers for hi Fi but look to have moved on to distribute a wide range of budget gear of all sorts. Unless you can get full T/S specs you can't do much anyway. Thomann probably ship to the Azores

Hello leonardo,

I couldn't see any bass-guitar orientated 12" drivers on the Monacor web-site but this 10" unit looks capable of producing adequate bass. None of the other drivers look good for bass.

http://www.monacor.co.uk/products/speakerbuilding-pa10-12/vnr/105590/

Although it is listed under the "PA" section, it's specification seems to be up to the job. I ran it through winISD and a single unit seems to be suited to net box volume of 20 - 25 litres. It holds it's full rated power down to fundamental resonance @ 47Hz.

Downside: - It's really designed to work with a midrange or tweeter as there is falling output above 2KHz; it will probably sound rather polite and it isn't very efficient, but if nothing else is available, then it's an option.

In summary ( as Phil is suggesting ) it's OK, but......but....

Balcro.