Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision 62 RI from Japan

FinnDave

I've read a bit about the Fender Precision 62 RI from Japan and it's all been good...are they really all they're cracked up to be? I ask because a bunch of blokes from my bike club dropped by to cheer me up in my convalescent state yesterday and one asked if I was interested in buying one as he has it and doesn't really play anymore. Sunburst, rosewood, tort...hard case, ticks all the right boxes, but....another bass...I've bought two and a neck this year already.

I willingly let my head be placed in the noose and asked him to send some pics. I'm a sucker for sunburst Fenders, but have never had a sunburst P. Gigged my sunburst 60s classic J twice over the weekend, can't help thinking they'd make a great pair, but something would have to go, I'm running out of space! This would make it 60s (repro) Jazz and P, modern Jazz and P, Squier fretless P and the Epiphone Casady all competing for space in our little house. Plus amps, of course.

Decisions, decisions.....

Edited by FinnDave

I have got an American 62 RI P bass. The neck is wider compared to the MIM standard that I used to own. I bought an aftermarket Mighty Mite neck, which is the same width as the American standards and much more manageable for me. Sound wise it just sounds great. It is definitely a keeper. I like the nitro finish to. It is wearing away around the forearm contour but I think natural wear looks good. Good luck with your dilemma!

There are 3 'levels' of 62 RI from Japan - I've heard good things about them all.
The basic 62 RI - Basswood bodies, non vintage correct hardware, poly finish
62 RI-US Alder bodies
62 RI-VPS- just the same as AVRI with the reverse tuners, vintage style/voiced (US?) pickups. Essentially a AVRI 62P at 2/3 of the price with more reliable build quality.
I'd be interested to hear other BC'rs comments about the actual difference in quality between them.

About £300 - £600 depending on which on you go for - you can then factor in another %20-25 once shipping/insurance/import duty are tagged on. There used to be quite a few one man operations importing the MIJ stuff and I think one or two are still going. I'm not sure how the economics of importing work out but I'm sure someone on here will have done it. I'd imagine the exchange rate between the pound and yen will throw in yet another variable to consider.
It would be good to hear from experienced importers if it's worth doing.