Why become a member? ×

PA speakers - want to go lighter

john_the_bass

Hello
We currently have a big PA - pair of subs, mids and tops. What I would like to do is to replace it with something much much lighter and more compact and do away with the mids altogether.

One thing I thought was to take the current driver out of the top and replace it with a neo driver - is there a fullrange (or near as dammit to where the sub takes over) neo driver that I can slot into the hole where the driver came out.

Failing that, can you recommend a replacement set of cabs - tops and subs - to replace what we've got?

Are your speakers passive? If they are, I'd recommend actives - although they are slightly heavier due to the inbuilt amplifier, it saves you bringing seperate amp racks and so there's a lot less lifting overall! You can actually get really decent active speakers nowadays too which makes this switch a whole lot more attractive.

EDIT - just as a reference, my band uses [url="http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=1313&cat=237"]THESE[/url] for most of our live gigs, and the sound is unbelievable! Granted, they're a bit on the expensive side but when you're buying seperate amps for subs, tops and mids normally - you're saving a lot less overall.

Over the last 10 years we have upgraded bit by bit and to be honest for a pub/ club rig I don't know if we could get any better other than full PA with engineers at al. We have Dynachord powered desk (I.5k) EV tops (not sure but I think the main speakers are 15") and recently invested in some wharfdale powered bottoms (this has added weight but the powered option I think blows the passive ones out the water) We put through it electronic drums, 2 keys, acoustic guitar, 4 vocals and squeeze a bit of line out from electric guitar and bass amp when required. We never struggle for clarity or output and we play townhalls sometimes. The next step is getting the monitoring right. :)

I thinkk we're going to continue own the seperate amp route, but we're going to look at a digital power amp, rack mounted in a road case that I can mount a 16 channel desk in (along with the light controller, 1u crossover, that kind of thing) - believe me, it all makes sense in my mind. Lighter speakers would be nice so we don't have to kill ourselves lifting them up onto stands.