Why become a member? ×

Hagström Viking tailpiece screws problem - thoughts?

iBudd

Hello chaps
I got this Hagström Viking before Xmas, and I do like it, but it's developed a problem - the screws that hold the tailpiece down on the heel (One of which is also the strap button) seem to have worked loose and so the tailpiece is moving away from the body under string pressure - pic attached. Bit annoying. Tightening the screws only seems to have made it worse.
So my question is, do you think it'll respond to the old strap button fix of toothpicks and white wood glue, given the fact the the tailpiece obviously takes quite a lot of pressure? I'm quite capable of administering that sort of fix myself. Otherwise it can go back (to Thomann) but that seems like a lot of faffing. And if they get it fixed for me, how are they gonna fix it? Toothpicks and wood glue.
In case you're wondering, I had it strung with D'addario ECB81s, which are almost the same tension as the stock strings (I emailed Hagström to double check) - only needed a 1/8 rod turn. So I haven't been abusing it tension-wise.
Grateful for any thoughts.

I take it it's new, so still under warranty. Judgement call required - if you try and fix it yourself you can (probably) kiss goodbye to assistance from Thomann or Hagstrom (although companies have been known to turn a blind eye with a little "don't do that again" ;) - thanks Gibson for getting me out of jail). Toothpicks/cocktail sticks might work, after that you're looking at drilling the holes out, filling with hardwood (not pine/softwood) dowel and re-drilling new (small-ish) pilot holes. After that, it's same again, but longer/bigger screws. After that, it's probably time to give up :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1427797728' post='2734278']
I take it it's new, so still under warranty. Judgement call required - if you try and fix it yourself you can (probably) kiss goodbye to assistance from Thomann or Hagstrom (although companies have been known to turn a blind eye with a little "don't do that again" ;) - thanks Gibson for getting me out of jail). Toothpicks/cocktail sticks might work, after that you're looking at drilling the holes out, filling with hardwood (not pine/softwood) dowel and re-drilling new (small-ish) pilot holes. After that, it's same again, but longer/bigger screws. After that, it's probably time to give up :)
[/quote]

Yep that's where I am - and thinking about THAT scenario I'm feeling more inclined to send it back and get it done there, even if it means the hassle of shipping it.

[quote name='iBudd' timestamp='1427812594' post='2734530']
I chickened out and returned it for repair! Thomann have made that easy so points for them. If anyone's interested I'll let you know what the repair is like in a few weeks...
[/quote]I will be interested. Always nice to know how companies respond to difficulties. I would like one of those Vikings myself. I wanted an Epiphone Jack Casady, but can`t get left handed, so that Viking is the next choice

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1427962873' post='2736271']
I will be interested. Always nice to know how companies respond to difficulties. I would like one of those Vikings myself. I wanted an Epiphone Jack Casady, but can`t get left handed, so that Viking is the next choice
[/quote]
Well while we're waiting for the Hag to be returned, I can tell you, I really like it! After I put chrome flats on it and set it up I could barely put it down for the first couple of weeks I had it. The short scale length take less getting used to than you think, in fact I played it so much that long scale Fender started to feel weird! The differnet pickup options are nice, it's got a range of throaty and thumpy tones in it, all quite sixties sounding, so if that's your bag, thats great. But really the 6-position switch is overkill - it would be nice to have a 2-position toggle switch there to go humbucking or single-coil and just roll the volume up or down on each pickup. I think the original Concords might have been laid out like that. Perhaps I'll make that change one day. Trans Cherry finish is very nice, it's taken a few minor knocks that I though would mark it but no, so it's tough! There are a few fit and finish issues - volume/tone dials are a little cheap and plasticky, sill no poblem to swap those out for more authentic witch hats. Also it naturally suffreed from loose output jack syndrome - a little clear nail polish on the washer took care of that! This issue with the tailpiece has been more of a pain - but hopefully the fix will be done well and we'l be up and runing again soon. I miss my Hag!