Why become a member? ×

sold - sound city B200 mark 3 amplifier
£1000

zacclowes

Awesome amp. these have a passive preamp very much like a hiwatt and are nothing like the noisey mark 4 amps
Has just been serviced and recapped by Aitken audio in sheffield.
running vintage russian 6550s
comes with a flight case

I have more pictures. message me and i will email them over

I have a matching cab that will be avalible seperately for £100

Trades and offers welcome. I'm in Stoke on Trent but will post nationwide and internationally.
cheers

Edited by zacclowes

Dave reeves who designed and started hiwatt was contracted to design amps for sound City. As far as I know he designed the mark 1 and 2 sound city's and left before or during Mark 3. Mark 1-3 are a similar circuit with revisions and are very close to a hiwatt. Then the mark 4 amps that came after are totally different.
These have partridge transformers and a nice build quality (but not hiwatt neat). They often get criticised as being cheap builds but they're as good as most vintage builds I've seen like laney, Marshall, Carlsbro, Simms watts, matamp....:it's just hiwatt is next level neat and are perfect.

Can find more info here http://soundcitysite.com
There's a history section

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='zacclowes' timestamp='1427445423' post='2730371']
..... Then the mark 4 amps that came after are totally different.
These have partridge transformers and a nice build quality (but not hiwatt neat). They often get criticised as being cheap builds but they're as good as most vintage builds I've seen like laney, Marshall, Carlsbro, Simms watts, matamp....:it's just hiwatt is next level neat and are perfect.
[/quote]

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1428958054' post='2746489']
This deserves a bump ... I use the 100W Mk 4. Sounds brilliant, very loud and punchy.......
[/quote]

Agree with the above. Some Mk4 do not have Partridge xformers but have pretty substantial equivalents. Some (and I have one, by luck not judgement) are superbly wired (every bit as good as 70s Hiwatts owned at the time from memory), some are 'messy'. Mk4 can be noisy but with bass cabs that have limited high frequency range this can become a non issue.

The problem with the noisy pre-amp in the Mk 4 can be rectified with quite a simple modification, and a master volume added as well. More extreme modifications include turning them into Hiwatt DR103 clones, which is because they are quite similar already. Even with the active EQ, the Mk 4 is still an evolution of the same Reeves design that the Hiwatts evolved from.

The big plus with the Mk4 is that they can still be found at sensible prices :) As chriswareham notes there are fixes for the noise and these are easily found. I keep thinking about DR103 conversion for mine but then think I have an unmolested 'bedroom use' condition one...