Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT IIP problem

steve-soar

I bought an Ampeg SVT IIP preamp a couple of weeks ago and up until today it has been fine but this afternoon it started to make loud, spluttering, intermediate but very fast static pops through my Bergantino IP 310.
I have tried different basses, leads and my Avalon U5, just to check and it is the SVT IIP.
I bought it from the States and changed it's volage selector to 230v, please tell me that I didn't have to change any internal fuses or the like. I think I would have to change the internal fuse for half the value.
Could it be a tube problem?
Even when I turn the volume of the pre fully off and there is no bass plugged in, it is still sending this eratic signal to the Berg and making the noise, the Berg cabs green signal led is flickering and should only light when it is receiving a signal. I have tried both preamp outs. It even does this when no bass is connected and still makes this noise at volume but when I play my bass I can still hear it and it still sounds good but with this sputtering over it.
Can anyone please help?

Edited by steve-soar

I'm not familiar with this preamp but my first check would be the valves.

It's most unlikely to be a fuse. If a fuse blew it wouldn't work at all. I would be inclined to swap the valves around first. I think they are all the same type so they will be interchangeable. The process of removing and reseating them could be enough to resolve the problem.

[quote name='BOD2' post='264648' date='Aug 18 2008, 03:36 PM']I'm not familiar with this preamp but my first check would be the valves.

It's most unlikely to be a fuse. If a fuse blew it wouldn't work at all. I would be inclined to swap the valves around first. I think they are all the same type so they will be interchangeable. The process of removing and reseating them could be enough to resolve the problem.[/quote]Nice one I'm trying to take the thing apart, it's like a Rubiks Cube, I mention the fuse not because there is anything wrong with it but it will be the wrong value for 230v, as it came from the States, 115v, so it's best to change it.
I'll reseat the valves and try again but they could be 15 years old!

[quote name='Merton' post='264649' date='Aug 18 2008, 03:38 PM']More likely a power supply cap or dodgy power supply in the room you're in, it sounds very similar to somehting I experienced with my 4x8 combo a few months ago - turned out to be dodgy room electrics in the rehearsal room I was in.[/quote]Power supply cap sounds like a candidate, I don't think the power supply is at fault as it is in my house at the moment and all of my bass gear runs off the same outlet and has no problems. I've just started to dismantle the case, wish me luck. :)
Thanks for the replys.

Edited by steve-soar