Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Selmer Treble'n'Bass 50 S.V. Head restored
£200

JapanAxe

I'm very interested in this (although I have no idea how I would collect it...) but what do you mean by "...[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] there is still the occasional click here and there."?[/font][/color]

[quote name='dogload' timestamp='1428484612' post='2741647']
I'm very interested in this (although I have no idea how I would collect it...) but what do you mean by "...[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] there is still the occasional click here and there."?[/font][/color]
[/quote]

My original description refers to background noise - the level of hiss is a fair bit higher than what we are used to from modern amps, plus there is some random low-level snap, crackle and pop going on. You would notice this if no other sounds were going on, but not whilst playing, especially with other instruments.

When I fired it up yesterday it was a bit worse than that, because there was also a crackle on each note. It is the same on both channels, so I swapped out the two 12AX7 valves in the common signal path but there was no improvement. Valves can be noisy but still test ok so ideally I would like to try swapping out the EL34 output valves and seeing whether that makes a difference. Until I can do that or otherwise get it sorted, here is the deal:

:excl: [u]Potential buyer can try the amp at my place or within 20 miles of Swindon and I will consider [b]reasonable offers[/b] based on the likelihood of some remedial work being necessary.[/u] :excl:
If you have a pair of EL34s you can bring, so much the better!

Thanks for your interest :thank_you:

FWIW I spent months chasing a very similar low level snap/crackle/pop in an amp and eventually traced it to a noisy EL34, after doing lots of work that it didn't really need! So I think next time it would be one the first things I'd try.
That's an excellent price for one of these, even with that in mind.