Why become a member? ×

-= SOLD =- 80s Squier Bullet Bass - Black - £120
£120

yondergo

For sale is my mid-late 80s Squier Bullet Bass.

A great example of the kind of basses that were coming out of the far east in the 80s, it’s got a solid wood body (probably basswood but i can’t guarantee that) and a lovely comfortable maple neck with great quality rosewood fingerboard and skunk stripe, it has 4 medium sized tuners with an unusual nut/bushing fit and the truss rod, which is working smoothly, is adjusted from the headstock (so much easier, why are they not all like this?). The frets are in great nick, must have had flats on it for much of its life.

This is essentially a precision style bass in sound and look, the main difference being the horns of the body are slightly stubbier on the Bullet.

I’m going to say this is a Korean model, despite the headstock not saying Made in Korea, i have seen these models sold as Japanese, which of course immediately boosts their prestige and value in the eyes of buyers, but I’ve yet to find any convincing evidence that these basses were made in Japan - the entire construction is identical to the Korean badged models - so i can’t with clear conscience try and sell this as MIJ. Of course, if you have some info that contradicts that then feel free to let me know! I think a rough date would be around 1987, but it’s difficult to says with any certainty, it could be earlier than that.

I bought the bass in a fairly mucky state but i’ve cleaned it all up. I’ve polished the metalwork, removed the grime from the neck and body and fully rewired it with new pots, jack, wiring and solderless pickup connector to allow for quick pickup changes as was my plan at the time. I also replaced the screws attaching the tuners and pickguard as they were a bit rusty. I put some new knobs on it too, as the white plastic ones looked gash. The pick guard has aged nicely, it’s now a lovely cream finish, i’d have swapped it for tort if i was keeping it but 3 P-Basses is too much for any man (i suspect some of you will vehemently disagree with that).

I’ve set it up with a medium action and a set of status (i think) flats. It plays really nicely and sounds every inch the P-bass, gritty and articulate with the tone on full and charting the depths of woody, vintage thump as the tone knob turns down.

The body and neck do have dings and knocks that are pretty understandable for a guitar that has certainly been played for a good part of it’s near 30 years, but for me it all falls into the category of cool looking road-wear rather than proper damage. Expect scratches, buckle rash etc.
I’ve tried to highlight any noticeable areas on the photos, anyone who was suitably motivated could polish the majority of the scratches and scrapes out. I’ve never been sufficiently offended by any of it to bother.
There are a few dints on the back of the neck, looks like it’s often been leant against something, probably a cab, and picked up a bit of wear because of this. None of it is noticeable when playing, but i feel obliged to mention it to paint a fair picture of the bass.

I love these Korean guitars, I own a Young-Chang made Squier Telecaster and J Bass (Both the Big-E variety, the best of the bunch) and would happily rate this as built to the same quality. The electronics have always been the Achilles heel of the Korean Squiers i’ve had, but happily for you that’s been taken care of, making this a great guitar that’s seen a bit of action but is still an absolute joy to play. Honestly - those necks….

£120 please!

Collection is preferred, i’d like whoever buys it to at least try it before they buy, but i’m happy to arrange a courier for anyone who wants it.

I’m in Derby Friday to Monday evening and in West London (Ealing) Tuesday to Thursday evenings.

Cheers!

Dave

[attachment=183958:Headstock.jpg]

[attachment=183959:Top Shot.jpg]

[attachment=183960:neck.jpg]

[attachment=183961:Top Dings.jpg]

[attachment=183962:Body Back.jpg]

[attachment=183963:Bottom Side.jpg]

Edited by yondergo