Why become a member? ×

Roland GK-3B on acoustic bass guitar?

Uli

My main instrument is currently a fretless [url="http://www.stollguitars.de/en/portfolio/the-legendary-acoustic-bass-4-5-6-string/"]Stoll[/url] acoustic bass guitar which I play in a two-piece band. To add more sound alternatives, I would like to use a Roland GK-3B pickup together with a Roland GR-55 guitar/bass effect unit.

Does someone have experience with the GK-3B pickup installed on the soundboard of an acoustic bass guitar? From the dimensions it should work, but I am not sure if the vibrations of the soundboard will affect the pickup performance.

To change from an acoustic bass guitar to a solid one is no option, as I love the sound and feel of the acoustic! No compromises :)

Thanks for any comments, Uli

Thanks for all the comments!
I use LaBella 760N (black nylons) on my acoustic bass, so they have at least a steel core. The nylon wrapping may dampen the brightness a bit, but I hope that the GK-3B / GR-55 can handle this with the corresponding volume setting for each string.

Not sure about the latency though - this may depend a lot on the position where I hit the string, as closer to the neck the attack gets very slow which may cause tracking issues.
But I think I will go for the GK-3B/GR-55 combination and give it a try.