Why become a member? ×

Olympic white polyurethane paint - matching headstock

Mooseman

I'm looking to do a matching headstock on my jazz bass. It's an Olympic white polyurethane finish. I know Vauxhall do a colour called Olympic white but I was wondering if any one had experience with poly Olympic white colours? I know northwest has nitro in Olympic but wouldn't this yellow at a different rate to the body? Or am I making that up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've searched far and wide for anyone working with poly paint.

On 70s Fenders the poly finish is a clear coat, which deteriorates to produce that typical yellowing over time. Underneath, the paint is just as white as the day it was applied. So maybe you should use nitro Oly and then apply a clear poly coat? You don't say how old your Jazz is or whether the finish has yellowed or not, but that's my understanding of it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423011675' post='2679672']
On 70s Fenders the poly finish is a clear coat, which deteriorates to produce that typical yellowing over time. Underneath, the paint is just as white as the day it was applied. So maybe you should use nitro Oly and then apply a clear poly coat? You don't say how old your Jazz is or whether the finish has yellowed or not, but that's my understanding of it.
[/quote]

So it's the clear coat that yellows? Learn something new everyday!

Good job you're not a professional or I wouldn't have been able to learn anything.

Shhh...I'm drunk. Shhh.

[quote name='Mooseman' timestamp='1423087158' post='2680689']
Ahh that's great! So I can mix nitro paint with a poly clear coat?

The Jazz is about 2 years old and is still pretty white.
Does this mean if the body clear coat has yellowed I could use t-cut to get it back to white?
[/quote]

Er... I'd paint it white first, then when that's done apply a final clear coat of poly.
Don't know about the T-Cut - when a bass goes yellow I leave it that way!

Edited by discreet