Why become a member? ×

My first ever recording of any type. Any feedback or tips for the next?

Dangerous_D79

Released a week ago. I joined CLOSED CIRCUIT as my first originals band and privileged to play with some good musicians who pulled me along during the recording process which was DI at home and then re-amped. I'd be keen to hear some feedback and learn any lessons or tips before we record another album this year. Thoughts?

https://closedcircuituk.bandcamp.com/album/violet-nights

Peace

Dangerous

[quote name='Dangerous_D79' timestamp='1422957589' post='2678724']...Thoughts?...
[/quote]

Good morning, Dangerous (Really..? I'll be careful, then...)...

I've only listened to one track (Sunsets of Red...) for now, but it's all good stuff; nothing to be embarrassed about, quite the opposite. The sonic stage is filled with the rich guitar wash, and the bass holds its place with honour. A slightly weighty pace; maybe it'd be played a bit faster, live..? The vocals have a tendency to drag on (or maybe I'm too impatient..?). Clear enough singing, though; at least the lyrics come through, which is always a good sign. Good idea, by the way, to have the lyrics available for download; nice detail. Slightly less enthusiastic on the drumming, which sounded a bit 'robotic' to me. Nothing bad; that's perhaps the problem..! Just my 'ear', I suppose; I prefer drums with a bit more 'swing' to them. Disclaimer: I have bad taste.
I'll give the other tracks a decent listen later on, so (switches to 'Terminator' mode...) "I'll be back..!". Well done, in any case. First time, eh..? You can be proud of the result.

[quote name='Dangerous_D79' timestamp='1422961805' post='2678798']
Thanks! Erm... Dad.

Looking forward to the rest of you're comments. "Bled" seems to be the most popular track so far.
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485] ('Douglas' will do, too, or 'Your High Altissime'. I try to remain modest, but it's difficult...)

... and be careful what you wish for..! :rolleyes:

Edited by Dad3353

Guitarist from Mr Dangerous' band here...and yes, Douglas would be vastly preferable for me, at least. Particularly since my dad [i]is[/i] actually a member on here (GregBass).

Thanks for the feedback - as he said, this is our first effort, so we're still feeling our way around the process of recording. Apart from anything, a big part of it was that we wanted to record an album within our first year and prove to ourselves that we could do it without studio assistance (apart from the mixing and mastering, because those are skills we just don't have between us at a pro level). This may or may not come as a surprise to you, but the guitars, bass and vocals were all done with an Eleven Rack.

Oh, and yes - [i]everything[/i] is a little bit faster live. We get too excited ;)

Edited by digitalscream