Why become a member? ×

Radial JDI info

jimbobothy

Hey folks,

Just in case you didn't know.

I've just got a new Radial JDI and had thought it would be nice to use post amp with the Parallel speaker option. However when looking on net about this and hearing some warnings I emailed Radial directly. They don't recommend using the JDI in this fashion when using a Class D head (I told them I've a Genz Shuttle and Streamliner) as there is a potential to create a high voltage that can be placed on the ground connection. The JDX would also be affected by this (I asked about that aswell).

Radial are planning to put this info into the FAQ section of the manual.

I guess I won't be using that option any time soon then :D !!

Edited by jimbobothy

I nearly had the same hiccup with a Behringer Ultra DI-100 (you know, the one with the extruded aluminium case). The input jacks have a metal ground sleeve which is in direct contact with the chassis. Had exactly the same problem, particularly when using my power amp in bridged mode i.e neither speaker connection is referenced to the amp chassis ground.

The only time I can see this working is if the DI box can isolate the[i] input[/i] jacks from the chassis [i]and[/i] you are able to ground lift the XLR output [i]and[/i] the DI can cope with >55V input voltage swings

In this case, a passive DI with an isolated transformer would be better I guess.