Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Firehawk - Tempted?

xilddx

I had a Line6 Flextone and the 1x12 ext cab. Sounded for the most part very good. It was light and easy to move about etc..................then I got the valve bug FFS!!!!! heavy, delicate, etc etc all for charactor and a subtle tone which in truth was only noticalbe to me at home. Oh well...you pays yer money!

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1422066721' post='2668443']
I had a Line6 Flextone and the 1x12 ext cab. Sounded for the most part very good. It was light and easy to move about etc..................then I got the valve bug FFS!!!!! heavy, delicate, etc etc all for charactor and a subtle tone which in truth was only noticalbe to me at home. Oh well...you pays yer money!
[/quote]
Out of interest, what do you think real valve amps offer over modelled valve amps?

Personally and with some experience playing guitar and bass with both, I can't think of any advantages of the real valve amps at all. I think a lot of people confuse the effects of valve amps with the effects of speakers and cabinetry.

Ooooooooooooo can of worms coming...I can feel it in my tubes.

As I said above I thought in a live situation then I could really hear no different. Now that's not saying that the sound to my ears was the same because different amps will have different sounds/tones. Some are bright and cutting, others seem smoother. Saying that I suppose most of it can be dailled out. Another to remember about guitar amps is the 'killer cone or death ray cone' position etc.

Modelling amps do the job well enough I think in the majority of situations. I said in the past on other forum that in the heat of a band situation when playing along with a singer belting it out and drummer battering away, I think most of the little things that make a valve amp special is lost in the mix. I will say that some amps are better at cutting it in the mix. I've heard that Blackstar amps struggle in the mix sometimes, but I've not witnessed that tbh.

One amp that I had that I noticed a great sound that my line 6 didn't couldn't do was that decay break up sound.

Very subjective view and I'm sure a few will have a lot to say on the subject.

All good points mate. I balance the tiny difference between the two with portability, versatility, no maintenance, and cost. The Pod wins every time for me. Can't wait to hear the Firehawk. They had better have plenty of bass stuff on there though, and I'm not hopeful.