Why become a member? ×

How much bass amp is enough...

AndyBass

Thanks all - I now get this whole watts and ohms thing as much as I think I ever will. I'll spend some time down our room trying the Genz through different cabs to see what noise I get. I used to have a 4x10 but got shot of it for space reasons when I quit punk bands and started in bluegrass and stuff, so maybe a 4ohm 2x12 is the right compromise of noise vs space for the time being.

The best thing is not get hung up on the numbers too much other than matching the minimum ohms load cab combination to the head, if you were to try a good quality single 8 ohm 4x10 with your head putting out the same175watt you do now it would fill the room out loads more than the 1x10 setup, two 8 ohm 4x10s with your head then giving 300 watts might surprise a few people what a box not much bigger than a VHS cassette can do!

I had a 'debate' on here a few years ago with a guy who wanted a new head to get more volume but only had a single cheap brand very compact 2x10 cab, I don't recall what head he had but it was quite big, Streamliner 900 maybe, I said my 3.0 with the large Genz 2x12T cab would demolish his setup but he was having none of it, fixed on the 900 watt Vs 300 watt head part! I presume he has very trashed 2x10 cab these days :D

• 2 weeks later...

Andy,

In order to keep up with JD's 65w valve guitar amp I ended up, after a few trial and errors, getting a GK 1001RBII and a GK NEO 410. That is he only thing I have tried that could 'keep up'. Since then, I use the same head but now with a fEARful 112, which outperforms the 410 with ease. Both cabs are 8ohm, so I have about 450w output to play with, and I have plenty of power in hand for medium sized gigs. If you are in the vicinity of the Harlequin on 21st Feb, you can see what I have and if you let me know when you're playing, and if I aren't already out myself, you can try my fEARful 112 cab and see if that makes any difference.

Hi Dave - yes I remember you saying you needed something pretty beefy to hold it's own against the rest if the band. Impressive that a 1x12 does the job - those fEARful things really do sound pretty special! I'll definitely try and get to the Harlequin gig - be great to see you guys play again, don't think I've been able to since my daughter came along, and it'd be good to hear the new cab in action. Incredibly good of you to offer to let me have a go with it too!