Why become a member? ×

Series/parallel faux-pas

squire5

I want to install a series/parallel push pull pot (Geez what a mouthful!) on my Jazz bass.I've ordered the pot off Ebay but I've just noticed that the one I've ordered is 500K instead of 250.Will it make much of a difference or should I order the correct one now?

Thanx Escholl but further to my query,I have installed the pot and now find the volume sweep is confined to the last 1/4 turn of the Volume control (neck pickup control).Also in series mode,the bridge pup control does not operate at all.In parallel mode everything is normal except for the aforementioned volume sweep problem.I may have got the modes mixed up as I'm not sure which is the default.Clear as mud?I followed the diagram from the Seymour Duncan website.Is the pot value critical.Pointers anyone?Ta!

Edited by squire5

[quote name='squire5' post='261833' date='Aug 13 2008, 07:17 PM']Thanx Escholl but further to my query,I have installed the pot and now find the volume sweep is confined to the last 1/4 turn of the Volume control (neck pickup control).Also in series mode,the bridge pup control does not operate at all.In parallel mode everything is normal except for the aforementioned volume sweep problem.I may have got the modes mixed up as I'm not sure which is the default.Clear as mud?I followed the diagram from the Seymour Duncan website.Is the pot value critical.Pointers anyone?Ta![/quote]

In series mode both pickups become one humbucker in effect so only volume control applies - the neck volume - the other is redundant. I believe that's how S1-type switching works - the bridge volume does nothing in series mode. I've just bought a MIA control plate with S1 switching from a chap on here that I'm about to fit to my Jazz so I'll confirm that when I've done but I expect there's loads of people here that can confirm it sooner.

As regards the sweep it may be that you have a linear taper pot where really you need a log or audio taper type.

[quote name='squire5' post='261833' date='Aug 13 2008, 07:17 PM']...and now find the volume sweep is confined to the last 1/4 turn of the Volume control (neck pickup control).[/quote]

it's nothing to do with the 250K/500K thing. the only effect that will have is that you bass may have a slightly brighter tone, but nothing rolling off the tone control a tiny bit more can't fix.

my bass actually does this thing with the volume as well, and i've been over and over the wiring of it and i'm not sure what it is. 500K audio taper pot, like yours, and i've made triple sure it's not hooked up backwards or anything....can't say i've figured it out.

Edited by escholl