Why become a member? ×

Fretting over a Re(fret).

PlungerModerno

It's time I documented my plans. Partly to get info/feedback, but also to keep the process fairly organized.

I have a Fender P with small vintage style frets (which I'm not too keen on), and some neck finish issues.
Have a gander...

My plan is to:
[indent=1]1. Remove the frets, and all loose finish. clean fret slots & soften sharp finish edges with sandpaper.
2. Replace frets with new medium jumbo frets (fender ones, pre-cut & radiused).
3. Clip, file, & bevel fret ends.
4. Install new nut (tusq ivory simulate)[/indent]
[indent=1]5. refinish neck (apart from headstock and heel with truss rod nut).
6. Level, crown, polish & finish frets. - leaving finish fillet on sides of frets
7. Set up nut & set up bass.[/indent]

Is this an OK way to go about this? This will be my very first refret. I've selected this task as it's a neck that needs finish work anyway, and maple is a lot easier to work with than ebony (not that I'd know) and rosewood (this I know!). It's also about keeping costs low.

I'll be using aerosol polyurethane finish in multiple thin coats. I'll test it on a piece of maple first to see it's thickness & drying times. I've invested in a fretting hammer, a beveling file, & will get a neck support before hammering. I don't have access to a press - but this should not be catastrophic on a relatively narrow neck (4 string) with fairly thick, tough fret wire.

I have defretted a rosewood fingerboard with almost no chipping, radiused it and refinished it with superglue with decent results.
I've leveled, crowned & polished multiple [s]frets[/s] fretboards and am keen to do the whole thing (but not yet ready to cut & make a fingerboard from scratch!).
I've watched all 5 parts of this series [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgKb2lTQKEM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=kgKb2lTQKEM[/url]
as well as some other vids so I should have the basics down.
Let me know your experiences, and advice!

Edited by PlungerModerno

If it isn't a vintage instrument, I would so have a go! By the sounds of it, you have experience with several of the steps involved, so this should be pretty straightforward for you.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]leaving finish fillet on sides of frets' in step 6 though please?[/font][/color]

I will be interested to see how it all progresses :)

Good luck!

Edited by BruceBass3901

[quote name='BruceBass3901' timestamp='1420716302' post='2652418']
If it isn't a vintage instrument, I would so have a go! By the sounds of it, you have experience with several of the steps involved, so this should be pretty straightforward for you.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]leaving finish fillet on sides of frets' in step 6 though please?[/font][/color]

I will be interested to see how it all progresses :)

Good luck!
[/quote]

Aye - she's an 88/89 (Japanese Serial H) so It's far from vintage...
I'll see what I can do - worst case scenario I'll have to get it professionally refretted.

Step 6 - Basically once I've sprayed the coats of lacquer on the neck - front, back and sides (Step 5) - I'll have a good bit of lacquer on each of the frets - can't exactly paint the fretboard without hitting the frets! Step 6 is removing the lacquer from the crown of each fret - first by carefully leveling the frets, then running a crowning file over each fret to give them a crown, then polishing each fret. I won't go all the way down the side of the fret, leaving a bead of lacquer along the bottom of each side of the fret. Kinda like how the fret tang ends are filed flush with the unbound fingerboard edge - then sealed in when the back of the neck gets painted.

It's easier to see than explain: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgKb2lTQKEM&feature=player_detailpage#t=712"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgKb2lTQKEM&feature=player_detailpage#t=712[/url] - what he's slicing away at this part of the vid.