Why become a member? ×

wotcher folks...

teej

Hi there,
I've been enjoying reading posts in this forum after I came across it a week or so ago, and I just had to sign up and join in.

I've been playing bass for just over 30 years, 20 of those on upright. In fact, I've hardly touched a bass guitar in the last 15 years. I play a 1969 Excelsior: a Boosey and Hawkes import from Czechoslovakia (that's what it was called then anyway), but there's also a Rickenbacker 2001 and a Gibson EB3 neither of which I can bring myself to part with.

The upright has an Underwood pickup, and I use a Fishman Pro EQ preamp into the band's Yamaha Stage Pas 500. Sometimes I use a Polytone Mini-Brute amp, but I like the sound of the pa better - it's much more natural.

I work with Red Jackson, a blues trio, playing a mix of old-time delta blues and ragtime, boogie, chicago blues, new orleans grooves, jump jive/swing and rockabilly. It's the best band I've played with and I really look forward to going to work. We're all pro musicians, and our angle on that is busking: we take our show onto the streets of busy towns in the south of England with a small suitcase generator and pa system, selling cds and shifting the business card. About 95% of our work comes this way, from people who've seen us perform and want to buy a piece of that for their event.

I also work with a jazz/cabaret/comedy quartet called The Ukes of Hazzard (3 ukuleles and me on upright). Funnily enough, that's 'for fun' - and it is fun - but it's much harder work. Fortunately it's starting to pay as well.

Well, I think I've rambled enough for now, cheers...