Why become a member? ×

2x10" cabs, midrange punch ?

RJB280

Some advice wanted from fellow basschatters please, from experience, which cabs would you say had the most midrange attack ( transient response ) ? Bergies, Aggies, Vanderkleys, or indeed any other cab that's out there at the moment.

Thanks in advance

There's precious little difference in the transient response of most electric bass drivers, even irrespective of size. Transient response is mainly limited by the driver voice coil inductance, T/S spec Le, which tends to be very low with most drivers. Those which do have high Le tend to be subwoofer drivers, where transient response is a non-issue anyway.

FWIW I've always interpreted a "punchy" bass tone as something present in the low mids, and a bump in the low mids is a characteristic of some cabs more than others, somewhat influenced by the enclosure design (making the cab a bit too small gives a bump in the low mids, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your preference).

Given the references to transient response (which I personally associate more with treble performance) I'm not sure if our interpretation of punch is the same though..

[quote name='RJB280' timestamp='1420362623' post='2648332']
Thanks Bill, I understand where you are coming from ref drivers but surely the design of the enclosure would have a large part to play ? Ported versus sealed etc ?
[/quote]Yes, but that has nothing to do with transient response, which is primarily seen above 500Hz, whereas the effects of the cabinet are primarily seen below 200Hz.
[quote]making the cab a bit too small gives a bump in the low mids, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your preference[/quote] The effect of a too small cab is usually seen between 80-160Hz, which is technically midbass. A hump there is usually heard as 'boom'. It's pretty much the typical sound of inexpensive combos.