Why become a member? ×

Replacement Strat humbucker

MoonBassAlpha

Hi
A chap I sometimes help with his guitars posed an interesting one:

He has an old Tokai strat he fell out of love with as someone had changed the pickups (and presumably flogged 'em).
He wants it to sound like his other Strat which has a DiMarzio x2n in the bridge (about the hottest humbucker around!)

I was wondering if something like a Duncan or Artec hot rails would be ANYWHERE close, or am I just dreaming?
I'm not going to faff around and fit a full-sized humbucker for him, that's outside my remit (and skill set), plus, the Tokai is probably worth a bit (early 80s from what he said)

And experience greatly received, cheers!

Finally picked up the guitar last night, all bets off, It has a (full size) humbucker in the bridge already. It looks a fair bit like the DiMarzio in his other one but the bar poles are chromed and don't even go under the low e string. The middle pickup is almost flush with the scratch plate, so no wonder it sounded weak. Haven't plugged it in yet, but I suspect a correctly spaced bridge bucker might help for a start! And don't even get me started on the home done "paint" job!