Why become a member? ×

***SOLD***Ashdown Spyder 550***SOLD***
£275

eddiehoffmann

Hey guys!

This one used to be mine and it's one of my all time favourite amps. I sold it a while ago to one of my guitar player mates who was at the time trying to get some extra work as a bass player. Turns out it wasn't as easy to be a bass player as he thought it would be ;)

I bought it back off him a couple of months ago driven by nostalgia. I still love it to bits and have used it a few times, but I just have too much gear again and this one has to go. It's a killer amp and, in my opinion, the closest you can get to an all valve experience. I'm gonna paste bellow the text from my original ad:

[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So what you got here is the dual valve preamp found in the Ashdown 427 Small Block combined with the tried and tested ABM power amp. What I really like about the ABMs is that all the notes (even when played on the G string) have all the "weight" that you expect from a bass amp. All the notes are thick and full. This amp preserves that, but in comparison to an ABM I would say it's a got a bit more bite. A bit more presence in the mix. It's a very versatile amp too. The controls interact with each other a lot and there's a lot of tonal options available, specially when using the switches. I found the [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Spyder[/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] has a more vintage sound (in an Orange kinda vibe) with the switches up and a more "modern" sound with the switches down. Using any combination of them gives you a plethora of sounds to choose from.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As a final note. I know Ashdown amps get a bad reputation for being "muddy", or "wooly", but I never experienced that. Probably due to the fact that I always used mine, both ABM and [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Spyder[/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], with good cabs (Aguilar for a while, and Barefaced for most of the time). I got nothing but compliments to my sound when using this amp with my Barefaced S12. It's a killer rig! Of course Ashdowns are not SWR's, so if you're looking for cut-glass treble, you would probably be better off with something else. If you're looking for a BASS amp that sounds like a BASS amp and cuts to any dense mix like a knife, look no further. These are not great amps for the price. They are great amps. Period.[/font][/color][/b]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The amp now has two Tung-Sol AX7, which are my favourite of all the valves I tried with this amp. I'm also including the two original generic Chinese ones and two JJ AX7 Gold Pins for you to play around with and find your favourite ones too.[/font][/color]

[b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Price is £250 collected from Finchley, North London. Trials are welcome. Bring your cab, bass... Whatever you want. Or you can try it through my Aguilar cabs too. I found a suitable box so I'm considering posting it at buyer's expense now. [/color][/font][/b]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]​Thanks for looking![/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Eddie[/font][/color]

Video I recorde using the amp. The signal is a mix from the miked up cab and the post eq DI on the Spyder:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzW1NdBD22M&spfreload=10"]https://www.youtube....2M&spfreload=10[/url]

[attachment=178131:1.JPG]

[attachment=178132:2.JPG]

[attachment=178348:185835_10151067109444421_1991610463_n.jpg]

Edited by eddiehoffmann

• 3 weeks later...