Why become a member? ×

Help needed with a practice regime.

Wooks

Every night I run through about 8 songs, all to a backing track. With some of them I've played a simplified line and then learnt in the trickier parts. Other times I've learnt the fancy version and decided it's not right and developed my own lines that are more walking/safer live/easier to make zing etc.

Beware simply learning scales and metronome timings, they don't really prepare you for playing with others. Also beware playing to the same track. I often seek out live versions or covers on YouTube so I can try a different tempo. Where possible play along to the right drum patterns not just an approximation. Hearing when you've meshed in right is one of the best things about bass.

[quote name='Wooks' post='254555' date='Aug 4 2008, 02:54 PM']Thanks guys, some cool stuff to work on there I like the spider exercises good for dexterity something I've got a problem with :huh: I got fingers like a pound of pork sausages :)
What about rhythm exercises any good ones out there?
One thing I've been doing with my tutor lately is dong scale patterns up the neck in different modes. Now he wants me to improvise this by playing a pattern for say 4 bars then moving onto the next pattern. But I'm a bit stumped when it comes to the rhythm and timings! Anybody got any words of wisdom on this one?[/quote]

Try doing like a 4/4 rhythm and different note values. Just get it solid, and improvise loads. Also, play Iron Maiden songs, as the triplelets will rip your face off!