Why become a member? ×

Stingray classic 5 string

patrikmarky

Really fancying a stingray classic 5 string ..but I've just snapped up a usa sub 5 string , sounds great and feels great ,so how can I justify parting with £1800.00 ...I'm wondering if it's gonna be that much better..have a feeling I'm just going to be paying for the "pretty dress" ;)...any thoughts ?

Most people do not appreciate the differences from a regular Ray IMO, here is a list of the parts that are not stock or from the parts bin other than the 2 eq preamp.

Neck- birdseye maple or flamed maple with a vintage tint finish (very smooth to play not sticky at all) and NOT CNC cut from a SR5 pattern as it has less frets, plus the retro logo.

Body- new tooling to cut a slab body from a single piece of ash.

Bridge- new tooling to create a 5 string version of the pre EB muted bridge as 5 strings did not exist then obviously.

Pickguard- looks like an SR4 one but for a 5 string and in a gloss finish rather than the satin EBMM style.

Neck plate- 6 bolt but with the retro logo embossed.

Strung thru body and ferrules like no other Ray since the late 70's.

Pickup cover doesnt have the scooped rest like an SR5.

Metal battery box cover.

Standard non compensated nut and vintage fret wires.

2 EQ and control plate where the SR5 only comes in 3 EQ with pickup selector.

Chromed truss wheel.

So to sum up the ONLY part shared with an SR5 are the tuners that all stingrays have always had, that is it!

The fit and finish on mine is superb, I have had the pleasure of many basses owned and test driven and it is right up there when inspected in the flesh, the retro burst finish on mine and the body grain for a single slab are top drawer, the laquer is litterally flawless.

The photos really do not do the body finish any justice nor do they show the birdseye or tint of the neck.
[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/20130623_172731_zps46dbb2fd.jpg.html"][/url]

Old Horse Murphy used to own this one and someone before him? but I wont be moving it on, as an ex multiple pre EB owner these are as close as you will get to a pre EB Stingray with a B string, I have a John East 2 EQ preamp in mine as the stock one was lacking, possibly faulty as this is a very early Classic 5 possibly the earliest in the UK we think which could explain that, I will get the preamp checked and replaced just in case at some stage for future value.

I love mine :D

EDIT to add this pic to show the contrast in neck finish.
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141102_103333_zpsidubzzni.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141102_103333_zpsidubzzni.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

GAS requires no justification, she is just a cruel and harsh mistress. However, I did a similar thing many years ago with 4 stringers. Long story short, I still have the SUB and the full on 'party dress' version left many years ago. Having a finish that screams, "Go on, scratch and dent me, do your worst," is very liberating, but if you really want a nice shiny 'Ray fiver why not have the SUB refinished and save a bundle?

Had stingrays before I moved onto 5's and the 5 string sr's didn't do it for me .....I do prefer the 2 eq and have heard it's the preferred acriss the pond ...thinking of rubbing back and spraying or maybe oil ,will depend on quality of grain..also been playing some places
I may not want to take a shiny expensive bass and I'm not one for hanging on a wall ...
We all know I will buy one still :;)))

I currently own a Classic Stingray 5 and have owned a number of 'standard' SR5's in the past. I completely support what Pete has written - the Classic is a very different beast to the 'standard' 5. Both are wonderful, but Ernie Ball has absolutely nailed the pre-EB Stingray vibe with these basses. I highly recommend trying one.