Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitoring

Mcdrewson

Used IEMs for 1st time at last night's gig. Rest of the band too except for drummer who required regular monitor. Did two practices with them but didn't haven't a good time. Ended up having to stand quite close to amp and just have IEM in one ear. Because of the nature of the gig (wedding do for 250) couldn't whack up the SVT so had to really concentrate. Anyone else using IEMs or are you favouring regular wedges?

[quote name='Mcdrewson' post='253821' date='Aug 3 2008, 06:00 PM']Used IEMs for 1st time at last night's gig. Rest of the band too except for drummer who required regular monitor. Did two practices with them but didn't haven't a good time. Ended up having to stand quite close to amp and just have IEM in one ear. Because of the nature of the gig (wedding do for 250) couldn't whack up the SVT so had to really concentrate. Anyone else using IEMs or are you favouring regular wedges?[/quote]

I've been looking into IEMs for myself - the rest of the band aren't interested.

Just beware of using one. There's quite a bit of evidence from the manufacturers to suggest that this can cause hearing damage, as you tend to run a single one at a higher volume than when you use both.

Was it your mix in the IEMs you were having trouble with?

No - We were lucky enough to do several practices with an experienced monitor engineer and we had the mixes set in advance, just a few tweaks at the venue. I think I'm just used to my trouser legs flapping from the cab. Interestingly though, we also all used radio mics on vocals. It made the set up a lot quicker.

What about looking out for a tecamp pleasureboard or something similar (see the IEM thread under the Amps section for more about these and a link to a german homebrew alternative). If you're all going IEM then why bother with an amp at all (other than for the reasons you've already mentioned)?