Why become a member? ×

TC RH v BH heads

Kevin Dean

IMO, based on the models I've tried-and the one I own-, they're different but both good!

I own the BH500, which pretty much the same EQ/features layout as the RH heads, but with different power outputs(500 watts as opposed to 450 or 750.) and a classic, bulkier style. The only thing that it doesn't have that the RH heads have is any effects loop jack sockets.

The newer BH amps (The 250; 550 & 850) have different EQ sections; with one dial on the 250 & two on the 550 or 850 for the Toneprint feature. The BH500 and all the RH heads have Tubetone & Spectracomp dials.

Like any amps talked about on this site, they have their fans and detractors. I'm a fan. They are nice sounding; versatile & loud amps & suit what I need to a tee>

Another vote for the BH500 here. I've been using it since 2011, and it has never let me down. Has all the features I need, the EQ section works great, and the built in compressor is very handy indeed. It is quite bulky, not too heavy though, and it pushes about as much air as a jumbo jet through my Peavey 4x10. Took me a while to find a sound I actually liked out of it, but I've used it with an orchestra, as well as my band and it's handled both with ease.

I've always liked it, and as often as I think about replacing it, I honestly don't need to. I've never tried the RH amps, nor have I the new BH models. I've played through a BG250 combo which was equally as good, but didn't really get much chance to tweak it since it was more of a get on stage and play type gig.

:)

Another happy BH500 owner here! I play in a loud two guitar band and it manages to keep up with ease (no matter what watts it's alleged to be rated at ;)), like any amp head you have to tinker a bit to get "your sound" but with the 4band eq and the tubetone it'll do it, for what I was going for, read a variety of posts on here which helped and got a sound I'm very happy with. At £275 it's great value for what you get, surprised there's not more peeps using 'em.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1415056784' post='2596319']
Barefaced super 12T
[/quote]

Well, depending on which version of the cab you have, you going to have at least 1000 watts of headroom @ 4 ohms to play with. This means that, taking funds into consideration, your choice is going to be dictated by the following conditions:

(1) Do you want a head as portable as your cabinet?
Or
(2)Do you want a classically "styled", bigger head?

If it's (1), choose any head from the RH450; RH750; BH550 or BH800(850?).

If it's (2), get the BH500. It looks,aesthetically, very similar to the amp/head section of the SWR Redhead combo. Also, it weighs 13 kgs/29 lbs. So it's not a Micro amp, but it is very managably light-especially when compared to a Valve amp.