Why become a member? ×

Fearful

Kevin Dean

Guest monsterthompson

I'd say the Ed video posted is a fair representation of the sound the Fears can do. I'd also say it is unrealistic to expect a single woofer to compare to a woofer/tweeter, much less a woofer/mid/tweeter cab. I also played my Super Compact against another set of boutique cabs, the Audiokinesis Hathor and Thunderchild cabs. A local guy has a pair of Hathors (12" woofer and 3" mid/tweet), and the Thunder is a 12" woofer with a horn tweet. The Hathors are closer to the Fears, and the Thunder isn't far from there. The G3 Compact was the only cab I had at the comparison time (I added the Midget later). There is a definite difference in feel with the mid/tweeter features. I could EQ the Compact to get to sort of sound similar, but it just can't duplicate that sound. The Baby would probably be a more realistic comparison, but I've never played one. I'll say the Fears are nice cabs, and there are better builders out there than the one I used. They are built to be a very flat/neutral PA transparent type of sound, with big lows. If you like what you hear in the Ed video, then you will probably find those cabs satisfying.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1415091290' post='2596469']
The Fearless stuff is also heavier I've noticed . & I can't help thinking there must be a reason why Barefaced have stopped using a 6" speaker in some formats .
[/quote]

Weight isn't necessarily everything though. My biggest concern with the lightweight cabs such as Barefaced is there structural integrity and road survival ability. Having been involved in shipping one (not mine I might add) in its original packaging, Parcelfarce managed to destroy the cab completely by dropping the carton on its corner. Seeing what my trusty Goliath Snr has to put up with on the road I'm concerned that a Barefaced cab would be toast by now.

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1415119495' post='2596904']
Weight isn't necessarily everything though. My biggest concern with the lightweight cabs such as Barefaced is there structural integrity and road survival ability. Having been involved in shipping one (not mine I might add) in its original packaging, Parcelfarce managed to destroy the cab completely by dropping the carton on its corner. Seeing what my trusty Goliath Snr has to put up with on the road I'm concerned that a Barefaced cab would be toast by now.
[/quote]
Dropping on the corner is only part of the picture, and you didn't see what actually happened. I had a shipper in the US do the same destruction to my Fearful. I've found that heavier cabs can be stronger. However, lighter ones don't hit the ground with the same impact. There is certainly a tipping point between light and durable. It's like they say in racing: Light, Strong, Cheap; pick two.