Why become a member? ×

Venues, Let's Talk About Small Bars and Clubs

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1414703885' post='2592553']
Good point, the fact that top 40 went [i]"bye bye"[/i] years ago really hurt us For us over 60 guys, you might remember when everyone knew what the number 1,2 and 3 songs were on the charts. Now everything is segmented, kids will say, i only listen to this or that.

My generation, we listened to everything, you had to. I mean The Beatles were charting but so was Frank Sinatra.

blue
[/quote]

Thats the other problem we face. Theres such a massive diverse in the range of music thats accessible now and with the birth of the internet you can listen to what you want when you want.

Radio feels like its turning into more of a chat show than actually playing music, and the music that does get played is stuff that only in the charts. Even the rock radio stations in the UK such as Planet Rock only ever seem to play the old classics and never seem to push new bands on to the scene. - Thats from my experience anyway because when I've ever been asked what radio station i listen to and say Planet Rock, I always get the response "Oh my Dad listens to that..."

Think you've answered your own question there. The younger generation that have grown up with vast amounts of freely accessible music via the internet are not going to be interested in listening to a radio show on the offchance their fave band comes up when they can immediately access it via youtube, spotify or whatever. Hence the shift from muisc based radio to offering them something which isn't necessarily music led. I think if you wewre to try to set up a commercial station geared toward younger rock fans and championing new acts you might struggle to get the listening figures in that would pull in the sponsors. Now whether the BBC should be doing more on that is a different subject but i got the impression that sites like 6music were supposed to be finding & promoting new talent as well as covering more niche music genres but i have to admit I've not heard enough of it to get a firm idea of their 'mission statement'.