Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Pickups

WishICouldWalk

I was wondering whether anyone had an opinion on the what are the mellowest sounding jazz pickups. I've got some DiMarzio Ultra Jazzes in a project bass and I find them really harsh. Can anyone recommend a something a bit sweeter? I like the Jaco/Richard Bona/Etienne Mbappe sound. My favourite sounding bass has been the Lakland Darryl Jones that I'm selling but I'm not sure whether the pickups are available after market or whether they'll fit into a Jazz Bass body.

Your input is appreciated guys.

Have you considered changing strings?

I've got those DiMarzios in mine, and they're very revealing - WAY too bright and raucous with Stainless Elites, but smooth and deep with the set of Thomastik flats I've got on there now.

A lot cheaper than a new set of pickups too!

[quote name='Stewart' post='252924' date='Aug 1 2008, 05:57 PM']Have you considered changing strings?

I've got those DiMarzios in mine, and they're very revealing - WAY too bright and raucous with Stainless Elites, but smooth and deep with the set of Thomastik flats I've got on there now.

A lot cheaper than a new set of pickups too![/quote]
I don't seem to get on with flats. I've got the same strings on a different bass (Rotosound RB45 Nickle) and they sound perfect. It just seems nuts to only be able to play with the tone rolled all the way off. I don't much like slapping with the tone up a bit either - sounds too thin.

[quote name='Stewart' post='252939' date='Aug 1 2008, 06:45 PM']Well, if you are set on a change of pickups, I'd concur with Dr Dave - Barts are very smooth in my experience.

Otherwise no doubt Mr Wizard can knock you up a set to taste![/quote]
Cool, I'll see what's available on Ebay.

[quote name='WishICouldWalk' post='252912' date='Aug 1 2008, 05:18 PM']....I was wondering whether anyone had an opinion on the what are the mellowest sounding jazz pickups....[/quote]
The Bartolini's on my Precision are pretty good, but I think you should also hear some Lindy Fralin Jazz pickups.