Why become a member? ×

Advice from Kubicki X-Factor Owners!

RaNoFuNkY

Hi all,

Need to re-string my kubicki x-factor for the first time after some extensive studio work. Just eye-ing up the unique bridge and was wondering if anybody out there has some tips for stringing up this particular bass? Any experience with string types also welcomed!

Ta

B

Allo!

They appear fiddly at first but with a bit of dilligence, its not too bad! From what I recall, I used to use Elites 40-100 on mine - suited the bass well.

I sold my bass in '93 so this is purely from memory - apols to any current Factor owners!

1. Slacken off the string(s) using the tuner knobs.

2. There is a small `staple' shaped metal piece which holds the string `capstan' wheel in place. Lift up the `staple' and this will then release the capstan and you can then move it freely in order to remove the string.

3. To restring, you need to locate the ball end of the string into the relevant `hole' in the headstock, then push the `silken' end of the new string into the hole in the capstan wheel, then wind the wheel backwards such that the string becomes taught (this is the painful bit as the teeth on the wheel are quite sharp!). The wheel clicks etc.

4. Once the string is as taught as possible, you can then tune it to pitch using the tuner!

Edited by doctor_of_the_bass

• 5 years later...

[color=#333333]
I've just decided to restring my Ex Factor for the first time, I left the strings it came with on it out of fear of not wanting to change them after the problems I'd read about online.[/color][color=#333333]
I now have that problem. I've removed the old strings, loosened the tuners as far as possible, dropped the string end into the slot of the wheel, clicked it round as far as it will go with just finger pressure and then started tuning. The problem is it won't go into tune, it stops a note or 2 short on each string. I've tried removing the strings and trying again, but still I can't get the strings tight enough.[/color][color=#333333]
In an effort to make this as painless as possible I bought the strings from Kubicki hoping these ones would be easier to use!?[/color][color=#333333]
It feels like the wheel just needs to clicked round a few more cliks before I start tightening with the tuner but I have no idea how to do that without the use of a screwdriver in the wheel teeth, and I'm pretty sure that is a no no.[/color][color=#333333]
Any advice would be greatly appreciated![/color]

As above but I have a written step by step guide that someone passed to me when I first got my Ex Factor

1) Spin the string's tuner counter-clock to loosen the string. As you do, you'll see that little silver wire dingle rise slowly from the space between the big ratchet wheel and the tuning knob. Loosen the tuner knob all the way until it stops and be SURE not to force it any further.
2) Now put your plucking-hand thumb (dunno if you're right- or left-handed) just behind that little silver wire dingle and give it a gentle push forward (toward the neck). The ratchet wheel pops free of it's cam and spins freely.
3) If whoever sold you the bass had it strung correctly, you'll see that the end of the string was bent at the end through one of the small holes in that ratchet wheel. Pull the old string out and put the new one in making the same bend as you notch the string through that hole.
note: DON'T cut your new string yet. On standard bass tuning posts, it's easy to see how much you should snip off: With these, it's not. You MUST have enough string to wrap two to four times around that big ratchet wheel. Better to guess too long at first than too short.
4) Here's the tricky part: You have to put the ball end of the string into the brass 'cup' at the head of the bass and keep it there while you begin to wind up the slack by turning that big ratchet wheel by hand. When you turn your attention to the ratchet wheel, the ball end will want to pop out of the cup. No, really, it WANTS to come out. And it will. If you listen carefully, you'll hear it mock you with a hateful little giggle every time it does. You need a third hand to keep the ball end in place, to keep tension on the string, and to wind the ratchet wheel. You won't get it right the first time. You'll get pissed at it. We all did. You'll figure out a way to make it work. Some of us use hair ties to hold the string down.
5) Now take up the slack in the string. Roll that ratchet wheel all the way until you can't roll it any further by hand. DON'T force the wheel any further than you can turn it by hand. DON'T put an object in the teeth and try to force it a little further: You'll break teeth off the wheel. There should be enough string to go around the wheel two to four times.
6) Now, use the tuning knob to spin the string up to pitch.
7) One more thing: You'll probably get the string to pitch with almost no room left to tighten the knob. Be CAREFUL not to overtorque the knob: You'll trash the whole thing. If you need more tightening on the string, you'll have to back up to step 5 to take up more slack in the string.
It SOUNDS like a lot of work, but it really isn't. After you do it once or twice, it gets easy. I know I got flustercated with it at first, but now it's a do-it-in-my-sleep kinda thing

Edited by Grand Wazoo