Why become a member? ×

Half a pickup

At an otherwise highly successful pre-gig rehearsal today, I found my beloved 07 S-1 P-bass had only the top (D and G string) section of the pickup working. The E and A strings were quiet and muted whilst the D and G were loud and clear as usual. I'm dropping it round to my local emporium in the morning, to hopefully get it fixed before we gig on Saturday night. I suspect wiring, I particularly suspect something to do with the useless S-1 switching, which stopped working months ago, but I didn't care because I never used it. Sound feasible?

Wrong again-the pickup is knackered apparently, which means I had to gig last night with my old Ibanez. So a new Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder is going in-I had planned to upgrade the pickup anyway, but I'd sooner not have been forced into it. I'm mildly pee'd off actually, the bass is only just over a year old-dirty E-mail to Fender UK in the pipeline methinks.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='252346' date='Jul 31 2008, 09:39 PM']... the useless S-1 switching, which stopped working months ago...[/quote]

..and you didn't get in touch with Fender *then*? When the bass wasn't even a year old?

Wow. Even though you don't use the switch, that's pretty lax...

Stuff breaks sometimes.

Take it back to the shop.

The electrics on a Fender bass should last more than a year (no matter how long the warranty is)

Sale of goods act covers this as things are expected to work for "a reasonable time". Just over a year from a bass is not "a reasonable time" by anyone's standards

"An item only needs to last as long as it is reasonable to expect it to, taking into account all the factors. An oil filter would usually not last longer than a year but that would not mean it was unsatisfactory."

[url="http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html"]Government web page on the Sale of Goods Act and faulty goods[/url]

As there's Fenders on here that are 50 years old and still working I'd suggest to them that just over a year is totally unacceptable.

If you want to ram home the point, go in first and browse a few things then ask the manager "how long do these things last, with string changes etc?" When he says "oh they go one for decades" you can go out to the car and get your broken one for them to fix free of charge.

They can't duck the responsibility as the purchase contract was with them and not Fender or the distributor so it is their responsibility to fix it, at their cost.

If they have half a mind to customer service they will do it anyway but you do have the law on your side ..

You should take it in before fiddling with it or changing the pup if possible as they may duck it by saying you broke it and it's hard to prove you didn't if the bass has been customised.

Edited by OldGit

Well it's already gone back, and I've asked them to put in the new pickup-as I said I'd planned to replace it anyway, and I didn't want another Fender pickup, and I want it back for next Sunday so I wanted to get things shifting ASAP. I've sent a dirty Email to Fender UK, and I may well push for at least some contribution towards the cost of the new one, even though it isn't a Fender.
I probably should have done something when the S-1 stopped working, but I didn't use it anyway, and quite frankly as long as it was OK on the normal setting I wasn't too bothered about it, and I had better things to do. Lax I suppose but that's just me.

Edited by Deep Thought

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='253846' date='Aug 3 2008, 06:47 PM']Well it's already gone back, and I've asked them to put in the new pickup-as I said I'd planned to replace it anyway, and I didn't want another Fender pickup, and I want it back for next Sunday so I wanted to get things shifting ASAP. I've sent a dirty Email to Fender UK, and I may well push for at least some contribution towards the cost of the new one, even though it isn't a Fender.
I probably should have done something when the S-1 stopped working, but I didn't use it anyway, and quite frankly as long as it was OK on the normal setting I wasn't too bothered about it, and I had better things to do. Lax I suppose but that's just me.[/quote]

Yeah I know what you mean ...

Fender should grovel and at least apolgise if not drop you a set of strings or something ...

That S1 thing was stupid on a P bass .. You can probably sell the knob and switch for good dosh though as people put it on Jazzes ...

Maybe I'm just old-school, but I would never send a 'dirty' email to someone in a scenario like this without giving them a chance to put it right. Stuff breaks, right? Ever played a wrong note at a gig?

What's wrong with writing them a nice friendly email first?

The world is going mad, I tell ya...

Alright, not so much dirty as politely pointing out my dissatisfaction. I'm not one to go at these things with all guns blazing, and yes, things do break, and yes, I played loads of wrong notes at last night's gig, but I think I have a right to be a tad aggrieved. I wasn't abusive or anything-but I bet a lot of people would have worded it a lot more strongly than I have.