Why become a member? ×

A 'lounge' version of Them Bones.

Sarah5string

Right guys. For our debut gig it's been decided that, as our geetards have to swap guitars before our cover of Them bones by alice in chains, that me and the drummer are going to do a lounge version of it to give the guys time to swap.
Now... any lounge bands I can have a listen to get inspiration for how the hell to play this thing??

[quote name='The Funk' post='249784' date='Jul 28 2008, 05:00 PM']Sorry, I'm sometimes a bit blunt. Sounds like quite a cool set list though from what I can gather. [i]Them Bones[/i] and [i]Mr. Brownstone[/i]. What else are you guys playing?[/quote]
Setlist as it stands

Freedom of Speech (our song)
Slither - Velvet revolver
Wish you were here - incubus
Mr brownstone - GNR
random little guitar swap song
Them Bones - Alice in chains
almost easy - avenged sevenfold
Untitled (our song affectionally named nunuting for the time being lol)

oh and don't be sorry.. honesty is the best thing!

Edited by Sarah5string

I used to be in a band that did a swung jazz version of 'Fight for your right' by the Beatstie Boys, always went down well. I think THem Bones will work well.

There's a guy who did a whole album of Jazz version of RATM tracks but I can't remember his name, not that it's much help but you should dig around and find out who it was, if I remeber I'll post it, or maybe someone else knows.

Edited by gilmour

[quote name='gilmour' post='249788' date='Jul 28 2008, 05:06 PM']I used to be in a band that did a swung jazz version of 'Fight for your right' by the Beatstie Boys, always went down well. I think THem Bones will work well.

There's a guy who did a whole album of Jazz version of RATM tracks but I can't remember his name, not that it's much help but you should dig around and find out who it was, if I remeber I'll post it, or maybe someone else knows.[/quote]
Paul Anka. Clips [url="http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/artist/releases/default.aspx?pid=11276&aid=6619"]HERE[/url]

Just put him into Last.FM and the first track was Wonderwall. I seem to recall the first track I heard from that was Smells Like Teen Spirit. Interesting but I don't think I could stand a whole album :)

Years ago we used to do Falling In Love Again starting as a sort of oompah version with cod Mae West accent before getting into a Sid Vicious / My Way ending.

That and following The Tubes lead, [list]
[*]starting one of our songs at the farewell gig when our vocalist left for NZ in the country stylie for about half a verse
[*]preceding WPOD with different medlies
[/list]

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='249769' date='Jul 28 2008, 04:48 PM']Right guys. For our debut gig it's been decided that, as our geetards have to swap guitars before our cover of Them bones by alice in chains, that me and the drummer are going to do a lounge version of it to give the guys time to swap.
Now... any lounge bands I can have a listen to get inspiration for how the hell to play this thing??[/quote]

Not my genre but do they have to change guitars? (ducks and covers) only it's a short set, and having more than one guitar on stage each may look cool but will anyone notice a sonic difference?
is this 6 strings to 7?

It adds complications to setting up and clearing the stage, potential level resetting and tuning all of which may disrupt the set's flow

For your first gig I'd suggest leaving out anything like that stops the set being as smooth as possible ..

Other than that I'd not introduce a challenge like a lounge version of Them bones.

Get them to change really fast, time how long it takes, just start the drums - play alone for 16 bars, you and anyone else with free hands gets the crowd to clap along over their heads (especially your 20 mates) then your bring in the bassline (just loop the first bit) for 16 and by that time if the guitarist aren't ready to go you just keep going 'til they are ...

That will be much better than a lounge version of anything.

You don't have long enough in the set to let the excitement/tension level dip right down cos then you'd have a huge hill to climb back up to your glorious finish.

You do have an encore planned, don't you? :)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='3V17C' post='249825' date='Jul 28 2008, 05:55 PM']you should check out Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine for some quality loung versions of alt/rock songs

peace

c[/quote]

ha ha some great ideas in there ..
Nice walking double bass piano break in Stairway
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ulj1V9t9g&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ulj1V9t9g...feature=related[/url]

OG has it about right.

Used to play Them Bones at college, and we just let the drums play through the 7/8 beat a few times before coming in with everything. And you don't have to play it in drop Db, just because the original is in that. It can be done in Drop D, as long as everyone is aware that you're transposing it up a semitone. Might get round changing guitars as well.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='249868' date='Jul 28 2008, 06:59 PM']We've got 2 songs which are in c# hence the guitar changes. We were playing it in Drop D in previous practices before deciding to go with the proper tuning seeing as we'd have to be in c# anyway for Almost easy. :)[/quote]

Capo?

I'll get my coat :huh: