Why become a member? ×

Down & Out

blue

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1409188092' post='2537351']
I think there are some interesting points here. I make a living from playing and there are definitely gigs out there,but you have
to branch out both musically and geographically.
I haven't done a gig in my local area (I live just outside Stoke) for at least 3 years, and even then it was the graduation ball
at Keele Uni.I'm not involved with the local scene at all. Most of the guys I work with are based in places like Manchester,
Liverpool, Chester, Birmingham, and the gigs can be anywhere.
The other point is branching out musically.I wouldn't get as much work if I couldn't (or wouldn't)play a bunch of different styles
and know a ton of tunes, be able to read, and be able to double on Electric and Upright. Consequently, I've played everything from
standard function band sets to theater shows, jazz standards to sequence dancing, and pub rock to big band.
It's hard work but it's doable-I've been doing this for a living for 15 years now, and my Dad's been doing the same for nearly 40.
[/quote]

Very astute comment. I know too many guys with that "that kind of music sucks or I'd never play that kind of stuff" attitude. Unfortunately all the musicians I know with that limited scope are bedroom noodlers and not by choice.

Here's a tough lesson, a buddy got the chance to go LA and audition for a big name contemporary country band. He get's to the audition and is ready to show his stuff and they gave him the sheet music to a polka and asked him to play it. he didn't get the gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

Music is a job like everything else, IMO...
If you want to earn enough, you'll be chasing all over the country after that gig that pays £2k and
the player pay will be around £300 from that gig. The band will be a business and have other exes so
it isn't such a simple split of the money. There will be a kitty/fund etc ..
That is a good start to the working week, money-wise,
but you can't leave it at that. You have to cram in a few more and you CAN'T be picky
and you have to keep that going week-in, week-out. It takes a certain mind-set to
be able to stick with it, for long enough and I, myself, can't think of much worse, tbh.

I think one of the things holding bands back is their inability to get/think beyond bars/pubs
but then you also have to have a band that is capable of that as well. However, what that
certain something is that works for one band and not for others is less clear.

The one thing around here that seems to propel bands/acts to the top of the local league
is the initial ability to play anything and everything ... but NOT bars. You can smokescreen
to a degree but you also need to have a really good business plan or head on and sell the
whole thing, By and large, IMO, these acts have something a bit different about them. ..
be it contacts/connections, money, bandwagon, BS and ANOTHER.