Why become a member? ×

Changing strings on my acoustic bass

Paul Cooke

I can't get on with the as supplied d'addario roundwounds that the bass came with, they have too much string noise. I'm thinking of putting on a worn in set of Picato flats I've got kicking around, however, the actual task of changing strings has got me stumped...

There's these peg things in the bridge that are stopping me from removing the existing strings and I'm a bit confused as to how to remove the pegs... Do you pull them or unscrew them? I've chickened out at the moment as they don't want to move either way...

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='248084' date='Jul 25 2008, 08:47 PM']I can't get on with the as supplied d'addario roundwounds that the bass came with, they have too much string noise. I'm thinking of putting on a worn in set of Picato flats I've got kicking around, however, the actual task of changing strings has got me stumped...

There's these peg things in the bridge that are stopping me from removing the existing strings and I'm a bit confused as to how to remove the pegs... Do you pull them or unscrew them? I've chickened out at the moment as they don't want to move either way...[/quote]

Paul

Loosen the strings off and pull the plugs out (you might need to twist them a bit). It's pretty simple but quite daunting at first, but you won't cause any damage at all.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Thanks... these were so stiff I had to use mole grips and a towel to break them loose...

anyroad... the tone is now lovely and mellow... just right for acoustic blues & jazz... no horrible finger squeaks when I slide into a note...

the strings that came off will be going onto the Warrior IV so I can try slapping it...