Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

E string Distortion

GStar

This may indeed be nominated for an award along the lines of "Darwin for Bassists"

But i've bought some new strings, Ernie Ball's i think, i've been using them for 6 weeks or so and i've noticed my E-String is giving out a distored tone. The rest of the strings are crisp and clear but the E is not.

I unplugged and you can hear the extra vibration from the string when you play it; so i'm wondering if i've bought strings with too thick gauge to be held securely on the bass. (I play a Fender Jazz)

Has anyone else come across this problem, should i have known not to go go above a certain thickness, could it be something else casuing this?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

could be a dodgy string, could need adjusting at the bridge, could need the nut filed down to fit, could be a few things

is your bass set up well? is the string loose or too big for the nut?? if the answer is yes and no, sounds like a dodgy string

Hi Kev,

I recently ordered a set of new, not sure the correct term, "nut/screw" that little things you manupulate with an allen key to rasie and lower the action, they seem slighty loose (the E string action tends to go lower slighty over time), but i only needed them for the outside holding of the very bottom and top string, so i would have thought if it was this it would affect the top string too. (plus when i rasie the action slightly to my prefered level the distortion through the amp and the extra buzz when you paly the string is wtill there.

The string does seem to be held ok at the bridge and at the neck; it sounds like it isn't though, which i guess is whats confusing me.

Perhaps another set of strings is in order? Or going back and seeing if i bought the wrong "nut/screws"?... Are there instances where thicker gauge strings don't work well in certain basses?

the nut is the piece of plastic at the top of the neck above the first fret, the things you adjust at the bridge are bridge saddles. it sounds to me just like its a dodgy string, i cant see why just the e string would be distorting and not the rest, have you tried a different e?? as far as i know, all basses should have no problems no matter how heavy or light the strings are, providing they are set up well