Why become a member? ×

SOLD!!!!! Considering selling my '91 Rickenbacker 4001 Chris Squire Ltd

Update; the crack in the paint behind the bridge now appears to be a slight seam separation (nothing sinister and easily fixable). Had it confirmed via photo by Paul Wilczynski of the Rick Resource Forum today.

To reflect this, I'm dropping the price to £1500. Happy to send photos to interested parties, or you're welcome to come and check the bass. Will probably be putting it on ebay imminently.

Pics:
[attachment=15261:tail_under.JPG]

[attachment=15262:tail.JPG]

Edited by 4000

• 1 month later...

Bump at £1450....won't be going any lower and if no interest will probably go on ebay. If no interest there it'll be staying unless something drastic happens. May consider some sort of deal on a Wal Pro 2 or a nice non-Jazz Sei bass; oh, and something like an Alembic Rogue might be nice :) .

Edited by 4000

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BenHorne' post='374743' date='Jan 9 2009, 06:05 AM']*dang* I would have bought this right before xmas, but then you wanted to hang on to it.... Now I have a midnight blue 4003 that I got from Ebay instead.[/quote]

Ben, it was for sale again as of 28/11 (see post number 28); I guess you never saw it. Also if you'd upped your offer at the time to what it's at now....shame for both of us! Hope your enjoying the 4003 though.

Edited by 4000

• 3 weeks later...

Bump. £1395 flat? If no interest in the next few days I will probably be taking it down to London at the end of the week for a commission sale; please note that if I decide to take this route once there I won't be accepting any offers to buy outside of there.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='steve-soar' post='391231' date='Jan 25 2009, 08:59 PM']If this were a lefty, I would have it, end of.
Do you happen to know if Ric made any lefties?[/quote]

4 out of a thousand, according to some sources; though I really think there are 12 lefties out of a 1000. I had one from new, and sold it in 2003 and sold it to a Yes collector in the US. I know someone else who has another one in Texas. I saw a third one elsewhere.
Other than the colour, and signature pickguard, frankly it was no different to my 4001v63 sonically or physically.

Edited by synaesthesia

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='391236' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:12 PM']4 out of a thousand, according to some sources; though I really think there are 12 lefties out of a 1000. I had one from new, and sold it in 2003 and sold it to a Yes collector in the US. I know someone else who has another one in Texas. I saw a third one elsewhere.
Other than the colour, and signature pickguard, frankly it was no different to my 4001v63 sonically or physically.[/quote]

Not quite true.....the CS has a vermilion fingerboard and headstock wings whereas the V63 has walnut wings and an "african rosewood" bubinga board. Contrary to what many others say, I think the V63s and the CSs do sound slightly different, although I'm incredibly anal about the differences in sound between individual Rics. I've owned 2 CSs and 1 V63, and have played several other V63s, and the CSs sound a bit harder to my ears (our guitarist, also very anal about tone, agrees). A mate of mine played my CS and V63 back to back and couldn't tell the difference but his ears aren't as good as mine, with all due respect; they sounded quite different to me as he was playing them.

BTW, John Hall has stated that the full 1000 units production run was never finished.

[quote name='4000' post='391378' date='Jan 26 2009, 01:11 AM']Not quite true.....the CS has a vermilion fingerboard and headstock wings whereas the V63 has walnut wings and an "african rosewood" bubinga board. Contrary to what many others say, I think the V63s and the CSs do sound slightly different, although I'm incredibly anal about the differences in sound between individual Rics. I've owned 2 CSs and 1 V63, and have played several other V63s, and the CSs sound a bit harder to my ears (our guitarist, also very anal about tone, agrees). A mate of mine played my CS and V63 back to back and couldn't tell the difference but his ears aren't as good as mine, with all due respect; they sounded quite different to me as he was playing them.

BTW, John Hall has stated that the full 1000 units production run was never finished.[/quote]

You can pick any two strats from the same year with same construction and they would sound anally different. I used the Ricks in various recordings with flats and roundwounds and decided to sell the CS LH at a time when prices were high, as sonically it was not that different- I would say interchangeable, and physically, it felt the same. I am of course, not as anal.

The CS I had I inspected very closely and the fingerboards the same as my v63. Vermillion wood is the common name for Padauk, and you find them in Africa and parts of polynesia. It's a bit redder and denser than Bubinga, but cannot say that the CS I had, had a reddish padauk f'board. That said, Ric LH production is to a large extent a pain in the production process for them, and if there are any shortcuts, the LH ones had them. Only in 2007/8 do you really actually see a properly accurate LH instrument in the 4003 LH, prior to this all LH Rics with triangular fingerboard inlays were RH production pieces used in an upside down configuration. They only started LH headstocks around '91 or so and I am not surprised if there are /were LH shortcuts. My 360/12v64 has a RH fingerboard.

Edited by synaesthesia

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='391487' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:32 AM']You can pick any two strats from the same year with same construction and they would sound anally different. I used the Ricks in various recordings with flats and roundwounds and decided to sell the CS LH at a time when prices were high, as sonically it was not that different- I would say interchangeable, and physically, it felt the same. I am of course, not as anal.

The CS I had I inspected very closely and the fingerboards the same as my v63. Vermillion wood is the common name for Padauk, and you find them in Africa and parts of polynesia. It's a bit redder and denser than Bubinga, but cannot say that the CS I had, had a reddish padauk f'board. That said, Ric LH production is to a large extent a pain in the production process for them, and if there are any shortcuts, the LH ones had them. Only in 2007/8 do you really actually see a properly accurate LH instrument in the 4003 LH, prior to this all LH Rics with triangular fingerboard inlays were RH production pieces used in an upside down configuration. They only started LH headstocks around '91 or so and I am not surprised if there are /were LH shortcuts. My 360/12v64 has a RH fingerboard.[/quote]

I would agree they are interchangeable, certainly for someone who just wants that "Ric" sound, but both my CSs sounded very similar, and different from the Vs.

I've never seen a CS with the same board as any V63, but you may be correct about LH models; I've never seen a LHder in the flesh. Although if the CS in the above picture was yours, that just looks like a typical CS vermilion board same as mine, and different to all the Vs I've seen.

Ok, the bass is now for sale on commission at the Bass Gallery in Camden; there may be some flexibility in the price. The slight seam separation has now been stabilised.

Please note that it won't really be worth my while taking it out of the Gallery now as it'll cost me to get it back again (which I'd have to add to the price), so best if anyone interested deals with them....what you will have is the peace of mind of buying it from them and the chance to try it out properly before making any decisions. It's a great sounding, playing bass, and it looks [i]fabulous[/i]; the pictures don't do it justice. Go for it!

Edited by 4000