Why become a member? ×

Pbass bass

beerdragon

[quote name='beerdragon' post='247384' date='Jul 24 2008, 11:09 PM']I noticed my pbass pup under the E and A strings was slanting downward away from my Estring. i leveled the pup up, and i was wondering how much gap there's supposed to be between pup and string[/quote]

There may be a good reason for it sloping, as the pole pieces are not adjustable it may be to equalize the output of the pup.
If you find thats not a problem then it depends on your style and how you want the bass to behave.
When the pup is too close it dampens the string by the magnets pulling on it, so you loose sustain but have a good output.
Alternatively have it too far away and the string will sustain well but you will lose output and maybe some overtones.
Have a play with the height until it suits you, there is no hard and fast rule...

Edited by Prosebass

It would normally slope away from the E (and the same, to a lesser degree the other pickup away from the G), to compensate for the radius of the fingerboard.

Also, larger strings tend to induce bigger voltages anyway, so you might well find that your E string is now unreasonably loud...

Edit: Ahh, Prosebass got there first :)

Edited by Stewart