Why become a member? ×

New Dude

truebassman

Hi and Happy Birthday to Basschat !
I'm new to this Forum malarki so apologies if this looks and reads really bad. I may yet to learn about how to use smiley faces and acronyms.

Me: Just passed 40 and decided I needed to learn bass, if only to have fun jamming with my son on his drumkit (any good tips on this?). Have found it more fun/addictive than I thought I would. Been playing, teaching myself for about a year but feel ready to 'move up a gear'. Live in Cumbria and work in Newcastle.

Kit: I bought an OLP Musicman copy from a guitar shop in 'the toon' which I am very pleased with now it has some new Rotosound nickel strings (getting a bit geeky now ?) on it. I'd only ever heard of Fender but couldn't afford one. I tried every guitar in the shop but liked the neck and feel of the OLP so went for it plus a Marshall MB30 practice amp which also seems to do the trick. For £300 I am more than happy with what I have bought.

Inspiration: All styles of music but basswise tend to prefer rock where the bass can shine through with a bit of punch (but not boring flashy stuff) - Phil Lynott,Flea,JJ Burnell ?

Goal: Progress by jamming with others or joining a band. First I think I need a few lessons to teach me how to do this successfully. Can I do this by by-passing the sheet music/scales/tabs etc ?
Might sound like I'm being lazy but I know I enjoy more and learn better by 'playing myself' if this makes sense.
Any suggestions or possible tutor contacts in Newcastle/N.Cumbria welcomed.

If you get lessons you should be able to tell the tutor what you want to achieve, and what you aren't interested in. They should take note of this so you don't end up being bewildered and easily bored.

Welcome to the forum !