Why become a member? ×

The blindfold test...

Sarah5string

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='245459' date='Jul 22 2008, 03:59 PM']see i REALLY struggle with looking up when i play live, i dont necesserily stare at the fret board but i have a real problem looking out at the audience (if there is one ) it freaks me out a bit, even staring at the back wall or sign feels uncomfortable. though we did do a gig on the same night as the world cup rugby final, not much of an audience but i did have something to look at there but it was also extremely distracting as i lost me way a bit.[/quote]

In that case, try looking at the other members of the band. I have way more experience of being in the audience than being on stage, and I reckon it always looks good if the band seem to be enjoying playing together.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='245620' date='Jul 22 2008, 07:23 PM']In that case, try looking at the other members of the band. I have way more experience of being in the audience than being on stage, and I reckon it always looks good if the band seem to be enjoying playing together.[/quote]

But don't play to each other to the exclusion of the audience.
There's a lot to be said for the "we're having a great time at this event, Join in if you like" kind of stage presence but you must make the invitation clear and inclusive by communicating with the crowd. Mostly that's about looking at them, performing to them and other non-verbal- communication.

Good:

Less good

Bad

:)