Why become a member? ×

neck profiles

groovastic

Hello!

Not sure if I am posting this in a right place, but let me try...

I am making some 3D models of basses in AutoCAD, and I have defined neck dimensions (width and thickness) and fretboard radii, but I have a problem defining the exact neck shape.
I know that there are C shaped, D shaped, U shaped and similar necks, but what are the exact dimensions of these shapes?
Is there any document where I could find the exact dimensions from various companies so I can decide on my own shape by combining the shapes (dimensions) of certain companies?

I know it's a silly question, but it would be great if someone could help me.
And I know it would be better to shape a neck by hand and then take care of those finesses after trying it out in real life, but my idea is to make a complete design on a computer and to have a perfect shape (the one I aimed at) directly from the computer (in case I find a CNC to make a neck from my drawing ;) )!

Thanks!

I don't think it's an exact science in terms of the classification.
The D, C and U letters are more a way of describing the thickness/shape front to back - there's no rule that says, for example C = 20mm - 30mm, D = 30mm - 40mm. I think It's more to do with shape than thickness anyway (i.e. thickness proportional to width).

As far as I'm concerned shallow neck would be described as a C shape (e.g. Geddy Lee Jazz Bass or late 70s Jazz Bass) - many modern basses are like this. A D shape will have a bit more thickness to it, (e.g. late 60s/early 70s Jazz Bass), getting on for a baseball bat... and a U shape will be like a drainpipe ;)

My advice would be to either get a bass you like the feel of and measure it. Or if you're thinking more commercially, get a popular model (e.g. Geddy Lee Jazz Bass) and measure that. Some manufacturers also put the thickness measurements on their spec sheets these days as they are indeed CNC machined. In the old days it was quite variable due to hand finishing.

EDIT: Heres a pic:

Edited by brensabre79

I don't think there's a definitive set of dimensions for the various C, D, U, V or whatever else letter is used to characterise the profile. Neck profiles have varied slightly over the years so widths and thicknesses change, possibly in response to demand (people wanting thinner, or chunkier, or wider, or narrower necks) which is why some prefer old basses from a particular era (or new instruments built to conform to the dimensions found in basses from that era).

[quote name='groovastic' timestamp='1402499077' post='2474164']
Thanks!

So it seems the only solution is to take a few basses (necks) I like and measure them in details...
[/quote]
Pretty much, yes. Or you can cut it a little bit thick with CNC and finish off by hand to taste.