Why become a member? ×

Toby Pro-6: luthier-fit Hipshot, MIDI and OBP-3 - Complete!

basexperience

About 7 months ago I decided I'd get a luthier to take a look at putting some new shine on and old friend... And she's finally ready.

It's been a long haul: lots of delays, mainly due to waiting for parts - the hipshot was made to order and got caught for over a month in the US in the huge winter storms they had. The GK kit came from Roland UK, but for some reason they didn't want to supply it, preferring instead to ignore the guys at BassGear in twyford who we're ordering up the parts. Thankfully OBP-3s are easy to get.

http://basexperience.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/oh-my-god-tobias-resurrection-is-nearly.html

There's lots of pics in there (I'm posting this from an iPhone and the editor is a little awkward!), I think Julian Mullen has done a great job.

So, in summary: ladies and gentlemen of the Bass world: my upgraded Tobias Pro-6, a workhorse of 10 years gigging, reborn with a GK midi kit and OBP-3 preamp, and a new hipshot bridge.

Beautiful! And today I get to pick her up!

Apparently the string spacing on the Toby was pretty rare for them - and I was keen to get it in Brass, and in black.

As an update - this OBP-3 is by far the most startling part of the upgrade. The clarity compared to the old 10-year old onboard preamp is just stunning - it's now silent, and possessed of enough headroom to set the Warwicks to shame (a core requirement of the work)! The push/pull 400-800Hz mid is an eye opener, interesting!

Add an excellent fret dress, and it's now an excellent bass. I can recommend Julian Mullen to anyone in the Reading area - he took plenty of pics (at my request) of the surgery so I'll post some when I have them.

Btw, an hour and a half tinkering with sensitivity, bridge dimension and nuance settings on the GR55 have yielded a stunningly expressive, fast-tracking midi capability too. Having the system properly mounted is simply a revelation, and now I don't have that bracket hanging on there the bass is back to the visual treat it was before I crowbarred the GK3B on there.

Edited by basexperience