Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SRX series pickups etc

muttley

I've got a bit of GAS for an Ibanex SRX (if they're good enough for Carole Kaye...) and they seem to go for £notverymuch on eBay etc. Reading some stuff over on TB it seems that the pickups/preamp etc are "good for metal" (whatever that means). Since a) I don't play metal and B) I don't like the look of the exposed pole pieces on the stock pups I'd think about swapping them out. Does anyone know what direct replacements exist? None of the threads I've seen mention any model numbers, only brands like Bartolini and EMG etc.

I have an srx430 and wouldn't necessarily say it's restricted to metal. I've used it for anything from Motown to funk and it's always sounded fine. It's very adjustable sound wise. Very comfortable to play as its light and got a thin neck. I think the pups are musicman sized although they may not be exact, I could measure them later for you if you like?

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1401872904' post='2467622']
Yes, please! That would be great.

I don't really subscribe to the "good for metal" notion, which is why I put it in quotes. I've already got a Korean SR400 with P/J pups and I fancy another but a bit different :).
[/quote]

No problem, I'll throw up dimensions after work.

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1401879181' post='2467712']
Excellent! Thanks.
[/quote]

Right, the dims are 93mm by 38mm and the pocket is roughly 18mm deep not including the scratch guard. The side with 2 screws has 30mm centres, 4mm in from the edge and the one hole at the other side is central and also 4mm from the edge. The corner rads look to be 5mm. Hope this helps :)