Why become a member? ×

OKKO Basstard or RM TC Voodoo Bass anyone?

Patchbass

So guys, I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Darkglass VMT as i'm still trying to be
100% sure and was wondering what it is like compared to the OKKO Basstard or the Roger Mayer TC Voodoo Bass and
if anyone uses either of these and has any comments about them! I am after an overdrive that can go from breakup and a little hair to medium overdrive that will cut through the mix and sound vintage and similar to a valve amp, so are these pedals any better at this than the Darkglass VMT and are they capable of this and stand out in the overdrive market or are they ones to skip?
Thanks for any help,
Patch

I haven't played the Mayer pedal but the Okko Basstard and the VMT are very different beasts. For what you're looking for I'd go for the VMT over the Basstard definitely. The Basstard doesn't have much "vintage" about it at all.

Also, look at the COG Knightfall (I must sound like a real fanboy sometimes, but these really are that good). Much cheaper than the other pedals you mention too !

Guest FretNoMore

The VMT has a quite pronounced mid bump to its sound, so if you want a more transparent tone that doesn't change your bass tone too much then look elsewhere in my opinion. Many like this mid character though and call it "warm" (I don't, I think it's more like slightly nasal). Other than that it is a very nice pedal. I haven't used the other two but I believe they are less smooth in character, but maybe not as "middy".

Edited by FretNoMore

[quote name='Patchbass' timestamp='1401479463' post='2464129']
So guys, I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Darkglass VMT as i'm still trying to be
100% sure and was wondering what it is like compared to the OKKO Basstard or the Roger Mayer TC Voodoo Bass and
if anyone uses either of these and has any comments about them! I am after an overdrive that can go from breakup and a little hair to medium overdrive that will cut through the mix and sound vintage and similar to a valve amp, so are these pedals any better at this than the Darkglass VMT and are they capable of this and stand out in the overdrive market or are they ones to skip?
Thanks for any help,
Patch
[/quote]

The Darkglass may be suitable, but the OKKO Basstard is an entirely different animal. If you want valvey low gain overdrive, forget about the OKKO.

I personally like the VT-Bass a lot for low gain overdrive (how valvey it is, it's up for debate), much nicer than the Darkglass VMT.
The Xotic BB Bass preamp is a pretty cool pedal too for very low gain fattening overdrive sounds (although it does more than that, of course). The BB before the Darkglass, absolutely. I didn't like the VMT much myself, and find it overpriced.

Edited by mcnach

[[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1401996929' post='2469147']
I haven't played the Mayer pedal but the Okko Basstard and the VMT are very different beasts. For what you're looking for I'd go for the VMT over the Basstard definitely. The Basstard doesn't have much "vintage" about it at all.

Also, look at the COG Knightfall (I must sound like a real fanboy sometimes, but these really are that good). Much cheaper than the other pedals you mention too !
[/quote] Thanks I really like the sound of that COG Knightfall, any more soundclips of it would be appreciated especially at lower gain settings, I played through an ampeg svt-cl today and loved the natural compression and the slight bit of breakup I was getting so maybe an SVT simulator sort of pedal could work :)